Leaky gas fitting alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quapaw

Check your LP gas fittings!  While doing routine maintenence on my 3 year old RV, I discovered a leaking LP hose coming to the LP tanks from the regulator.  The clamping (or compression fitting) connecting the hose to the fitting leaks when moved.  When alerting my dealer to the problem, he confided in me that the problem is common after a couple of years.  The material now used is no longer neoprene rubber but another material.  Apparently it dries out and leaks.  I have more than 40 years experience with LP gas having used it for motor fuel along with the normal household uses and have never encountered such a leak.  I've had RVs for almost as long and have replaced only one other "pigtail" and that was due to a rounded POL fitting.  I have contacted the manufacturer, Marshall Brass, and am awaiting an answer.  In the  meantime, please check yours before there is a catastrophic accident.  As with most things, quality is down and prices up.  These units are now manufactured in Mexico with the Marshall Brass name and a UL symbol. 

A few years ago I had a leak from the high pressure side of the regulator on our back yard BBQ. Didn't find out about it until the whole thing was engulfed in flames. The only thing I could do was turn off the valve.  Scary and the resulting blisters on my arm weren't pretty. I now keep a fire extinguisher close by.

Keeping alert for the smell of propane is always a good idea while in and out of the bays of an RV.  I usually inspect the LP connections while doing may annual maintenance checks.

Having used propane for motor fuel for many years, I have always been aware of the odor of it and inspect fittings and use soapy water for leaks after each change of tanks etc.  However, this fitting was not leaking until it was bumped.  Mounted on the tongue of the travel trailer enclosed in a cover, it could have been bumped or otherwise moved and leaked.  After speaking with my dealer who told me they had many similar pigtails that leaked, I felt it was time for the manufacturer to be notified and those that have little experience with such things be alerted to a potential problem.  If the manufacturer does not respond to my message, I will contact them by registered letter with the information.  The hose, CGA hose, made in USA, does not appear to be the same as other pigtails and LP hose that I have used for many years.  I have installed fittings on various types of LP hose and never seen this particular adaptation of the connection.  I hope Marshall Brass has some satisfactory answers for me because if someone is injured because of a leak from this hose, liability may be on them.  That is what lawyers are for. 

Quapaw,

I hope Marshall Brass has some satisfactory answers for me because if someone is injured because of a leak from this hose, liability may be on them.? That is what lawyers are for.?

I think a prudent person would fix, or have fixed, the problem before "someone is injured." By contacting Marshall Brass you are admitting that a problem exists and your "legal recourse" may not have much of a chance because you did not fix the problem--it may now be your problem as far as any liability.

Richard

Mine have been replaced and will be checked by me as usual but others may not be as prudent.  If you remember an auto manufacturer's lialbilty case of a few years ago that had faulty fuel tanks design and the recent tire problems by a manufacturer who had been alerted by the plant workers about faulty design you will undoubtedly also remember it cost the manufacturer a bunch.  Product liability requires notification of a problem and, if the problem is real, either recall of the item to repair or replace is required.  My notification of this  potential problem to the company is for their benefit.  If it is an isolated problem, fine.  If not, the company needs to be notified.  It is the first step in a process to ensure saftey.  If they choose to ignore the potential problem, then regulatory agencies are notified and they generally investigate and rule.  Voluntary changes in design or materials is common in industry.  LP gas appliances, mainly gas grills, have long been a dangerous item causing many fires along with injuries and deaths.  Some have been caused by careless use and others by faulty or unsafe items such as regulators, hoses, and design factors.  As I stated, I have use LP gas for motor fuel and other uses for many years and am aware of the dangers. Others may not have the same experience or caution.  Have you ever checked you lines for leaks?  Do you travel with your LP tank valves open or closed?  Have you ever seen the remains of a burned RV?  Most of us are complacent and do not do the necessary checking of potential hazards. 

Back
Top Bottom