Learn about IBC - it could save a life!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
As some of you know, back in January, 2009, my wife Nancy learned she has Imflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC). IBC is a fairly rare but extremely aggressive cancer that is fatal in a high percentage of cases.  The median survival time is less than 3 years - 50% of all patients die in that short time.  Nancy is beating the odds at 3 years, 10 months and doing well, even though she still requires regular chemotherapy to combat an inoperable growth that spread into her scapula (shoulder bone), even after the doctors thought they had removed all the infected areas..  :) :)

I've posted this today to refer you to an article in USA Today promoting awareness of this scourge. Make sure you - or the ladies in your family - are aware of the signs of IBC and seek immediate diagnosis of any suspicious red mark on the breast. The symptoms are often not obvious - just a tiny pink or red dot that won't go away. The description of it as an small insect bite is a common one. And make sure the doctor is knowledgeable about IBC - too many are not.

Please read the article and spread the word.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2012/10/16/inflammatory-breast-cancer/1617317/?csp=Dailybriefing

We have a number of breast cancer survivors on this forum and they have all been very supportive of us - it has really made us proud to be part of such a caring group of friends.  8) 8) 8)

Thanks Gary for the heads up.  You've reminded me to schedule my annual mammogram which  comes with a slew of follow up appointments as my Doctors are very cautious.  I can  only hope they are among those  knowledgeable  in all forms of breast cancer.
Nancy is my hero!

(And all the other breast cancer survivors on this Forum too!)

Gary, thanks for the heads up.  I never heard of this particular kind of breast cancer so the extra knowledge is useful.

Twenty-six years and counting!  ;D  ;D

ArdraF

I certainly don't intend to hijack Gary's thread but I thought it would be worth mentioning that men also can have IBC.  I've had two male friends diagnosed with breast cancer, one was IBC.

Twelve survivor years and counting!  Celebrate!  My surgery, chemo, etc. don't hold a candle to Nancy's regimen.  She's a tough lady and my No. 1 Cancer Surviver Heroine and inspiration. 

Tomorrow I'm attending a survivor's luncheon and fashion show as a guest of a friend here in Timber Valley.  She has successfully beaten Non Hodgkins Lymphoma.  (For this year, anyway.)  We fight on and hope for a cure.

Margi

Somewhere around 1% of breast cancer victims are men, and I believe they have the same occurrence rate of IBC as women, which is around 2% of breast cancer cases.  I would guess that it is even more unlikely to be correctly diagnosed in a man, making even more likely to be fatal.

I had a seminary classmate that ended up as Rector [Sr Pastor] of the Epsicopal Parish in Helena AR, and for 25+ years fought breast cancer before it killed him. Fr. Duane Saba was the 1st man I ever knew with breast cancer and have examined myself ever since he was diagnosed.

Lost of people forget, EVERY body part a woman has a man has.. Just some are more developed on women.

The reverse is also true, EVERY BODY PART a man has, a woman also has,, Same "just some are more developed".

I've known this for.. Well.. a very long time.

Many never figure it out.  I think there is one exception (A rib) and some parts (Like the "Adam's Apple") you need an x-ray to find on a woman, but it's there.

Back
Top Bottom