Learn to Do It Yourself.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Framily.

Guess that Jack is going have to learn how to remove our old dead microwave/convection oven from our 1993 Wanderlodge, plus install the new one.

My sad story is that I purchased a new Sharp oven from Lowes' and also paid for delivery and installation. Jack didn't want to attempt the install. Well, after waiting 2.5 weeks, the installer showed up, came in the coach, and sized up the situation. When we couldn't find one of the supporting screws and a clear path to the electric receptacle, the installer went out and talked to his boss. When he came back in, he said that he couldn't install the oven. Now, mind you the oven is still on the truck. Bottom line to this story, the installers refused to install the oven.  :mad:  :mad:
Lowe's refunded all of my money with sincere apologies. From remarks passed by the manager, this is not the first time this installation company has done this to customers.

I found the same oven on Amazon for a little less money and ordered it. Jack said that he will install the new one. He will need some help.

Disappointed and without a oven now for 2 weeks,
Liz

Jackliz said:
I found the same oven on Amazon for a little less money and ordered it. Jack said that he will install the new one. He will need some help.

Well I don't plan on making Florida any time soon but I'll be in California in a month and QZ a week after that (actually back in Detroit a week after that but the rig and wife will be in QZ)

Replacing the microwave is easy, getting the old one out and making the trim match, that's the hard part

As for a clear path to the electric,,, I assure you there is one,, Likely in a neighboring compartment though

This I can tell you

To route cord

Step 1: Obtain some strong twine, string or fishing line

Find plug on existing microwave

Unplug it and tie the string to the cord, tie well

Remove old microwave... Pulling cord out and pulling string in

Untie the string from the old cord or cut string near plug,

Attack string to new cord, near the plug (same fashion) you may wish to use some tape to streamline things here

As Jack insert's the new microwave, you pull the string, pulling the new cord back through the hole/path so it's ready to plug in when Jack's done.

NOTE: before attempting instalation inspect the microwave.  I've seen some models that have holes in the case big enough for microwave enegery to escape

Liz

I have no idea how the microwave is mounted in your coach, but our microwave/convection oven is mounted on a metal plate/bracket that is attached to the wall and surrounding cabinets. In our case, the microwave hooks onto the bracket and there are only two screws that secure it. IIRC the two screws are accessible from the underside of the oven, near the rear. In our case, the screws are behind a couple of filters that are easily removable.

FWIW ours was starting to become loose and was squeaking a lot as we drove down the road. It was the screws holding the plate to the wall that were actually loose, not the two holding the oven to the bracket. I got out my tools and started to unscrew the oven, planning to remove it in order to secure the bracket. But I realized this was going to be a bit heavy, especially since I had to reach over the stove. That's when I decided to wait until we got to the factory service center and let a strong-armed tech fix it.

As John suggests, the power cord is routed through an adjacent cabinet. If I had $1 for every foot of wire that I'd fished through walls using John's piece of string idea, I'd be a very rich dude.

Howdy John and Tom.

Good idea about the string and cord, John.
Tom, sounds like the microwave in your coach is located as ours is, above the cooktop?  There is a small compartment above the microwave. One of the  screws that holds the oven can be clearly seen and accessed in that compartment. But the opposite holding screw is not visible. I called BB and the tech told me that the screw would be located behind a little box and that is where the plug is, also. Now that little box is really tight in there so we will probably have to access through the adjacent overhead cabinet. That looks easy as the screws and fasteners are easily accessed, I assume.  ???  ???

The new oven is supposed to be delivered to me on December 19. I sure miss a working microwave.  :'(  :'(  Poor me.  :(  I am going to listen to Country and Western Christmas music, makes me feel better.  ;D  ;D 

Regards,
Liz

Liz

If you have the owners manual for the oven, it should show you where the screws are located in relation to the oven. Just make sure Jack doesn't hurt himself reaching over the cooktop to switch ovens.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom