Learning Photography & Flowers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
Despite having an SLR camera for several years, I have recently been learning how to use it properly. I am still at an early stage. One of the things that I really like to photograph is flowers. I have been doing a little bit of practice the last few days and managed to get a couple of half decent shots of a few flowers in my garden and the bugs that live there. Thought I would share them as it is something a bit different.

Attachments

• robberfly.jpg
    robberfly.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 15
  • beepurple.jpg
    beepurple.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 13
  • orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 15
  • bug1small.JPG
    bug1small.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 13
I recommend signing up for emails from digital-photography-school.com.

Here's a few from last week's camping at Parker Dam State Park, PA

link: Digital Photography School

Attachments

• IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Despite having an SLR camera for several years, I have recently been learning how to use it properly. I am still at an early stage. One of the things that I really like to photograph is flowers. I have been doing a little bit of practice the last few days and managed to get a couple of half decent shots of a few flowers in my garden and the bugs that live there. Thought I would share them as it is something a bit different.
Definitely much better than "half decent"! (y)

What are you shooting with?

You have some nice shots.

One thing that I've learned about macro (close-up) photography, is that there are lots of techniques and tricks that are not at all intuitive. If you are at all like me, then left to your own devices, it will take years to master macro photography, if you ever do.

Go to Amazon, and search for macro photography books. Two that might fit your needs are:

Amazon.com: Macro Photography for Gardeners and Nature Lovers: The Essential Guide to Digital Techniques (9780881928907): Detrick, Alan L.: Books
and
Amazon.com: Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro Worlds with Harold Davis (9780240820736): Davis, Harold: Books

I have not read either of them, and there are many others that I have not read either, but the reviews of these two look good.

Here are a few of my attempts.

Attachments

• Macro 1.jpg
    Macro 1.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Macro 2.jpg
    Macro 2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Macro 3.jpg
    Macro 3.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Macro 4.jpg
    Macro 4.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 4
One thing that I've learned about macro (close-up) photography, is that there are lots of techniques and tricks that are not at all intuitive. If you are at all like me, then left to your own devices, it will take years to master macro photography, if you ever do.

Go to Amazon, and search for macro photography books. Two that might fit your needs are:

Amazon.com: Macro Photography for Gardeners and Nature Lovers: The Essential Guide to Digital Techniques (9780881928907): Detrick, Alan L.: Books
and
Amazon.com: Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro Worlds with Harold Davis (9780240820736): Davis, Harold: Books

I have not read either of them, and there are many others that I have not read either, but the reviews of these two look good.

Here are a few of my attempts.
Thanks. I actually got an online flower course that I'm working through as well as my other lessons.

Lovely shots.

Thank you all for the kind comments. I'm aspiring to get as good as Tom for the wildlife šŸ˜
Thank you for a lovely compliment. Getting as good as me actually depends more on your ability to get close to the animals, feel comfortable around them and not bother them rather than any photographic technique.

Back
Top Bottom