Leaving dogs in RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's res an old thread, I've done a fair amount of thinking on this and was wanting to share some of those thoughts:
1. Consider leaving your name and contact number on the door of your RV so if someone has concerns about the pet they can contact you or an emergency contact.
2. Consider putting a thermometer of that reads the inside temp and an easily visible place by the front door.
3. Consider using remote monitoring smart devices.
4. For dogs that may have a tendency to bark consider using a citronella collar and before that (for any dog, or cat) very kind and thoughtful and well done training and conditioning.
when i leave my dog in the car it has "dog mode" and the screen displays a message saying what the current inside temp is. But I've still had people stand by my car all pissy when i walked back to it. I'd explain it to them and then open the door and let them feel the cold air but karen is still gonna karen.

I've tried vibrating bark collars and I've tried the citronella collars they have NO effect on getting my dog to stop barking i want to try some mamajuana calming chews but they are illegal where i live, I've heard they work for dogs like mine. luckily he only barks for about 10 min when i leave. but he will bark at passerby's.
I have a tiny trailer so leaving him inside isn't the best option but also he'd scratch up the inside trying to get outside if i locked him in. so I'm just gonna have to leave him tied up outside in the shade of the awning and let him be anytime i have to leave for something he can't come with, like groceries or the shower.

Old thread, but I think some balance needs to be struck here. RV'ing has gotten hard for people like my wife and me . We like state and national parks and the hassle of reserving and the crowds and expense is turning us off. Add to that are the many campers that have 2,3 or even 4 dogs. They bark whenever another camper walks by with a leashed dog, bark when I walk by. "Don't worry, they won't bother you" is the shoutout from the owner. Fact is, they already are. Owners leave and they bark nonstop for a few hours. I admit that it's a losing argument, the dog owners win. I've had 3 dogs and when I camped they came with me everywhere or I sought out a sitter. The best behaved dogs,left alone in a strange place will bark incessently. Just not fair to people that have reserved, paid to be there and are hoping for some quiet and solitude. Again, before you jump all over me, I know that the dog crowd will win this and continue to sour the camping experience for many of us, nothing we can do. I'm not one to go to the Rangers or the camp hosts, not worth the hassle. And don't tell me I'm not a dog person.

when i leave my dog in the car it has "dog mode" and the screen displays a message saying what the current inside temp is. But I've still had people stand by my car all pissy when i walked back to it. I'd explain it to them and then open the door and let them feel the cold air but karen is still gonna karen.

I've tried vibrating bark collars and I've tried the citronella collars they have NO effect on getting my dog to stop barking i want to try some mamajuana calming chews but they are illegal where i live, I've heard they work for dogs like mine. luckily he only barks for about 10 min when i leave. but he will bark at passerby's.
I have a tiny trailer so leaving him inside isn't the best option but also he'd scratch up the inside trying to get outside if i locked him in. so I'm just gonna have to leave him tied up outside in the shade of the awning and let him be anytime i have to leave for something he can't come with, like groceries or the shower.
airborne: we had the same thing happen to us, we left our subaru runnning with the a/c on to keep our fur babies cool, yet karen who didnt take the time to check to see if our car was running proceeded to chew us out when we returned, the only thing you can do is smile and thank them.

Old thread, but I think some balance needs to be struck here. RV'ing has gotten hard for people like my wife and me . We like state and national parks and the hassle of reserving and the crowds and expense is turning us off. Add to that are the many campers that have 2,3 or even 4 dogs. They bark whenever another camper walks by with a leashed dog, bark when I walk by. "Don't worry, they won't bother you" is the shoutout from the owner. Fact is, they already are. Owners leave and they bark nonstop for a few hours. I admit that it's a losing argument, the dog owners win. I've had 3 dogs and when I camped they came with me everywhere or I sought out a sitter. The best behaved dogs,left alone in a strange place will bark incessently. Just not fair to people that have reserved, paid to be there and are hoping for some quiet and solitude. Again, before you jump all over me, I know that the dog crowd will win this and continue to sour the camping experience for many of us, nothing we can do. I'm not one to go to the Rangers or the camp hosts, not worth the hassle. And don't tell me I'm not a dog person.

Very much a dog person here and I agree with you.

But also, at home, we live on a few acres and have complete solitude. We know when we go RVing at a National Park or campground, it will be everything but what we have back home. It’s hard to have any expectation of privacy or solitude with nature when there’s another camper less than 50’ away.

Hiking is one of the main reasons we go camping, and we take my girlfriend's dog with us most times when we hike. We leave her when we go out to eat, etc, but when it's not going to be that hot, AC on shore power.

We also get to know the neighbor's enough to let them know what they're doing. Sometimes they have a dog, or not, and don't mind having her out to play with them.

Another factor is the dog itself. Not all dogs can handle being left alone. My girlfriend's dog remains completely quiet and resting while we're gone... And we make sure to exercise her really good before we leave her.

However, we've been by locked campers or the dog is safe, but is barking away... I would know for sure that that was going to happen or not before leaving the dog there alone.

We have a temperature monitoring device along with cameras to watch and listen in on Boudreaux's activities. Only once in many years have I had to speak to him over the camera to "quiet" when someone knocked on the camper door. (dedicated hot spot for wifi)

Twice the temperature went past 78 degrees necessitating a return trip from fishing. The section of the park was without electricity for a time. Generator cranked and powered the A/C in the interim, however I quickly returned to be sure.

Always prep for the worst, enjoy the best of times.

My dog goes pretty much where I go unless I'm going shopping or somewhere where he would have to spend time in a closed, hot car. He's traveled with me long enough for me to know that he only makes noise when he hears the Jeep drive up.

We have 2 teacup maltese. I’m nervous about leaving them in the RV when we hike. I bought a few cameras but they didn’t work.
We do not leave our dogs along in the camper, except under very extreme emergencies. We do a LOT of hiking ( up to 10 miles a day). We purchased 2 dog carrier back-packs. We have 2 Dachshunds. We'll carry both dogs when they finally poop-out. However, our one dog walks every step with us. She's up to 10 miles a day also.

Our dogs go with us everywhere. We plan everything around them. Maybe we are just different when it comes to our little guys, but if the dogs can't go inside, then one of us stays in the truck with them while the other goes in. Or we simply select activities and attractions where the dogs can go also.

3DONviB.jpg

q4cSBhj.jpg

HtUFKNM.jpg

We have a collapsible crate that we put Winnie Dog in when we are not in the RV. She feels safe in it and usually just falls asleep. It keeps her from bouncing around, trying to look out windows, or scratching at the door. It is also where she stays when we are on the road, it keeps her from becoming a projectile and protects her should something, for some reason, fall out of a cabinet. The sides are soft with screening, but it has poles that keep it sturdy. When not in use, it folds up flat.

Attachments

• 292427533_10159776773243815_5216656411153381779_n.jpg
    292427533_10159776773243815_5216656411153381779_n.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 1
  • crate 1.JPG
    crate 1.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1
  • crate 2.JPG
    crate 2.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom