Leaving Hose Connected to Sewer Clean Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcg

Hi,

I've been browsing and reading these forums but I didn't see this addressed.

I plan on doing some dumping in my home sewer clean out. It's located in my crawl space and while not impossible to get to it's certainly not easy.

I was considering two options.

The first one is extend the clean out to near the crawlspace access so I can just reach in and connect the hose.

The second is leave the RV sewer hose connected to the clean out and just put the cap on the end that attaches to the RV drain and leave that hose within reach so I can just grab it, remove the cap and attache it to the RV drain.

The second option is the easiest since I wouldn't have to remove the clean out cap each time or do any actual plumbing.

Any thoughts on the second option, or anything I might have missed in thinking this through that might discourage me from the second option? The only thing that crossed my mind is the 15' RV sewer hose, even though capped, might fill up with sewer gas. My home system is properly vented so I really can't see that as a problem but I ain't no plumber and may not thoroughly understand how it all works..

Thanks for any help on this.

Someday, with option 2, when you least expect it, you will pull the valve and the RV hose will rip a seam and dump the contents on the ground?

:p

If it was me, I would hard pipe from the existing cleanout and bring it to the edge of the access door. Then I would keep a short length of sewer hose just for connecting to that new piping. I keep a short length like that in my RV for use at a dump stations. I also have a long hose for regular use at campgrounds.

Old Racer said:
Someday, with option 2, when you least expect it, you will pull the valve and the RV hose will rip a seam and dump the contents on the ground?

:p

I thought of something like that because my crawl space is a dirt floor but how often does a quality RV sewer hose fail?

I'm relatively new to holding tanks and sewer hoses.

I agree with Rene.  Do it once.  Do it right.  Eliminate most possible problems.  Leave easy access to the connection.  All flexible hoses are short and easily replaced.

I assume the camper drain is higher than the proposed new port, which is higher than the connection point to the sewer.

grashley said:
I agree with Rene.  Do it once.  Do it right.  Eliminate most possible problems.  Leave easy access to the connection.  All flexible hoses are short and easily replaced.

I assume the camper drain is higher than the proposed new port, which is higher than the connection point to the sewer.

Yes, the clean out is currently about 18" lower than the holding tank drain. If I plumb it to the access opening it will still be 8" -  10" lower.

The biggest reason I'm considering all of this is I'm borderline germaphobe nut job and being able to take my time and clean out my tank at home would keep me from additional time at the therapist.

Thanks for the replies so far. I imagine this forum will come in handy as I learn about this stuff and hopefully it won't be long before I can contribute some helpful replies.

I'm with Rene T.
I would attach a length of PVC to the clean out using a flex rubber connector, adapting it to the clean out inlet. This would assure you of no unseen RV dump hose failure under your home. The failure of the RV hose is not limited to structural failure and can be caused by rodents, etc.
I have a TT parked permanently on a lot and had a hose damaged by animals in the first year. I installed a length of PVC pipe from the dump outlet to septic tank inlet, no more problems.

Reggie

There is an old rule. "Do it right or do it again" which applies perfectly here.

regval said:
I'm with Rene T.
I would attach a length of PVC to the clean out using a flex rubber connector, adapting it to the clean out inlet. This would assure you of no unseen RV dump hose failure under your home. The failure of the RV hose is not limited to structural failure and can be caused by rodents, etc.
I have a TT parked permanently on a lot and had a hose damaged by animals in the first year. I installed a length of PVC pipe from the dump outlet to septic tank inlet, no more problems.

Reggie

Me, I'd plumb it in with a threaded connection to the clean-out inlet if possible...Thread tape the threads,  hard pipe to the point where he'd want to connect to the RV sewer hose, then a threaded adapter at that  point so he can properly cap the thing. Eliminate as many leak points as is possible.

Think about the mess you will have to crawl in to make repairs if the flexible hose fails.  That thought alone would be enough to make me want to do it right the first time.

How hard would it be to place a clean out "T" outside? The discharge pipe shouldn't be too deep just outside the house.

kdbgoat said:
How hard would it be to place a clean out "T" outside? The discharge pipe shouldn't be too deep just outside the house.
The only way out is through a cinder block or take up part of the access door.

Making a new access door and coming through there is now the way I'm leaning. I may also call a plumber I work with for other jobs to give me a little advice.

The current clean out is just a wye (kind of like a tee only at more of an angle) but it points away from where I want to end up. That would mean 2 elbows but I don't think that would be a problem flow wise on a 4" pipe.

I'm going to get under there and take some measurements to see if I can come out somewhere and still keep it below the RV drain.

I can just screw an adapter into the current clean out and then piece together the pipes ending with a threaded cap. Getting it at the right angle where it comes out might be tricky.

You could dig down about a foot. Then cut the pipe 3" above the "Y" and 3" below the "Y". Then spin it around so the threaded part is lined up with access door Then reinstall it with rubber boot on each cut.

tcg said:
I thought of something like that because my crawl space is a dirt floor but how often does a quality RV sewer hose fail?
I have to replace mine about once a year. And I buy the most expensive one I can find.

I agree that hard pipe is better, but in the mean time a good Rhino Flex hose would suit your needs. I am all about doing things right, but I am reasonable too. 

I'm with SargeW.  Hard pipe is best, but a good quality sewer hose, connected to the clean-out with a threaded fitting and capped at the other end, is an adequate solution. A sewer hose in a protected location like that should last at least several years of occasional use.

That said, I plumbed a pipe into mine for the same purpose. I use a macerator to pump out my tanks at home, so added a 1.5" line Teed into the 3" drain line at home (1.5" is plenty for the macerator). That brings the pipe out where it is very convenient to hook up and it only sticks up a couple inches above ground.

I was poking around some more and noticed a 3" clean out on another sewer line that is right in line with the ledger board. I could very easily bring out a smaller pipe with a cap through the ledger board and use a macerator and smaller hose.

If I understand correctly that drain would not need to be lower than the RV drain because the macerator also pumps.

Any thoughts on going that route?

Thanks again people for all the input so far.

Back
Top Bottom