Leaving items out while at CG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RREngr

Not sure this is the right place to post this question, so feel free to move it if not.  On our three trips to CG's with the MH, I noticed that allot of people seem to leave their grills, chairs, etc. sitting out even overnight.  I am from around the LA area so used to having to lock everything up.  In your experience, is theft generally not a problem in CG's?  Sure would be easier to not have to put things away all the time.  Just wondering.  Kay

Kay

Others might have different experiences, but we've never had a problem leaving things like chairs and grills out overnight at a campground. I'd be a lot more careful if I were "camped" at a rest area, but we don't stay at those places anyway.

We live chairs and grill out most the time.  However, you should use some judgment. I.E. If we were camped at the slabs ( I wouldn't do that) we wouldn't leave anything out.  Probably wouldn't even leave the motorhome.

Kay,

In most places we leave things out but some places we ask when we check in.  Most places will be no problem but if there is easy access by passers by, i.e., non-RVers, I would be cautious.

RREngr said:
Not sure this is the right place to post this question, so feel free to move it if not.  On our three trips to CG's with the MH, I noticed that allot of people seem to leave their grills, chairs, etc. sitting out even overnight.  I am from around the LA area so used to having to lock everything up.  In your experience, is theft generally not a problem in CG's?  Sure would be easier to not have to put things away all the time.  Just wondering.  Kay

We occasionally will leave chairs and grill out. I always lock the bikes up if we have them with us. Location of campground will dictate whether it would be better to put everything away. In 9 years of fulltiming we have never had a problem with theft. There was only one campground in Vicksburg, MS where we felt we should keep things locked up. I will lock the bay doors in any situation. The problem with locks is they only keep honest people honest. Thankfully the RV community is made up of honest people.

A lot depends on the campground... My wife and I tend to stay at membership campgrounds... At one of them there is one main entrance, it has a guard shack, and it's about a half mile from the shack to the first campsite.  Though I do lock up my bike I do not anticipate any problems.

At another, a state park, where you can see the campers as you drive by,,, Well we got up one morning and found we'd lost our breakfast... Now many campers have lost their breakfast but it would have been nice if we'd had a chance to eat it first.  They also took lunch and dinner (and the cooler)  Others there lost medications, chairs and a grill (We did not loose any of that) Of course there is no security there.

Campers, at least the kind we (meaning forum members) tend to hang out with, are generally respectable  However the people who drive past the campground may not be quite so nice.  From what the deputies could gather in the case above it was some local punks who came by to raid the campground, they were not staying there.

Of course it appears a couple of punks came into the garage at my other house and cleaned out everything they felt was of value too, including 2 generators, a table saw and some other hardware.  So even houses are not all that secure  (And that house is in a very good neighborhood)

What all of you said makes sense.  Usually okay in a campground with gated entrance and security personel--but use extra caution when in State Parks or other areas where even non campers have access.  May take me awhile to relax enough to do it, but helps to know what situations might require extra care.  I know most people are honest and follow the "golden rule", but those few who are not can sure ruin things for everyone.  I grew up in a farm community in the MIdwest where we never locked doors--houses or cars, but after having had one house broken into and a couple of cars stolen over the years--I am much more paranoid.  Thanks for the stories and suggestions.  Kay

RREngr said:
Usually okay in a campground with gated entrance and security personel--but use extra caution when in State Parks or other areas where even non campers have access.

Most, if not all, state parks we've stayed at have a ranger station at the entrance and rangers patrol the parks. I feel safer in many state parks than in some commercial camgrounds.

I agree, one tends to be a lot more cautious after having had cars stolen or houses broken into.

Tom said:
Most, if not all, state parks we've stayed at have a ranger station at the entrance and rangers patrol the parks. I feel safer in many state parks than in some commercial camgrounds.

I agree, one tends to be a lot more cautious after having had cars stolen or houses broken into.

I live in Michigan, they layed off all the rangers. (not entirely a joke)

On the serious side... Yes, you basically do a security evualation when you pull in and if you don't like what you see

LOCK IT UP

The one and only time we have had anything taken was at the state park in Traverse City, Mich.  Went to the dump station and left the jack pads and carpet out since the pad was in plain view of the dump station.  Some guy in a Country Coach stopped in front of the pad and when he left the stuff was gone. 

Other than that one time we have not had one thing disturbed.

If it is pricey lock it up. 

Lock up or empty coolers.  Teenagers steal those on the off chance that they contain beer. 

I padlock the spring bars and ball mount to the safety chains.  Chairs and tablecloths stay out and in some ten years no one has stolen those yet.

Ron said:
The one and only time we have had anything taken was at the state park in Traverse City, Mich.  Went to the dump station and left the jack pads and carpet out since the pad was in plain view of the dump station.  Some guy in a Country Coach stopped in front of the pad and when he left the stuff was gone. 

You  have to watch those CC folks Ron! <G>

I don't stay at a lot of State Parks but I am always amazed at a place like Emerald Desert in Palm Desert or other upscale parks, how people leave high value items, like Golf Clubs and Bicycles , out unlocked. It Emerald Desert anyone  could hop over the little fence and take these and go.

I always lock things up most items so to be safe than sorry. I do leave chairs and little tables and rugs out. My chairs are from Walmart and not those expensive 'La Fuma' French Rockers.

I don't want to spoil my 15 years of not having anything taken.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom