Leaving Salt Lake City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
We have been here in SLC for a week doing genealogical research at the LDS Family Center Library.  The only way to describe this place is it is a joy to use. The folks are very helpful and they conduct free classes that are really good.

Tomorrow, we're leaving and heading west to Loomis, CA. We're going to take 4 days to cross Nevada on US 50, "The Loneliest Highway in the US". Turns out that there appears to be quite a bit to see along the road, if you take the time to find it. It certainly looks a lot more attractive than going with the flow of traffic on I-80.

Chet18013

We're going to take 4 days to cross Nevada on US 50, "The Loneliest Highway in the US". Turns out that there appears to be quite a bit to see along the road, if you take the time to find it. It certainly looks a lot more attractive than going with the flow of traffic on I-80.

I did that in '85 on our way from Omaha to lakeport CA via Mom's in Denver. I marked some spots I want to return to on the way including a side road that I beleive a drog drop occured 20-30 miles west of Ely past the first range at 2 AM. With 2 drivers, we did the trip from Denver to Lakeport in two days and will never do that again! There are a lot of passes from Delta to Marysville CA in one day. I love going up mts. The bicycle campers we met out in the middle of various stretches were facinating and daring people. 1217 miles was too much, too fast.

Smokey,

"Drug Drop" We pulled out of Ely about 1.30 AM and as we neared that range at 90 mph in the Honda moon wagon, I saw the desert behind me light up with a vehicle using 6 or 8 hallegon lights on the top an two more below the bumper in addition to brights -maybe 12 miles? or so behind me.

He caught up to me [remember, I'm doing 90+] and blew my doors off on the way by. I let him get close to two miles ahead and then kept him in view.. That Honda was broken in as a TX Honda and kept up or ahead of Corvettes trying to out run it and I was still driving TX style as a TX resident daily. Coming down the other side I saw a an airplane to the south, the vehicle turn north down a side road and, whlie lighting up the desert valley, blow a cloud of dust to the north as the plane made it's desent. We kept right on going!

MY CB wasn't responded to by any law enforcement on any channel. I sure wish I'd had my previous linnear amp that got stolen in El Centro CA.

Chet

>>Tomorrow, we're leaving and heading west to Loomis, CA. <<

I hope you are planning to go to Yosemite as you will only be about 160 miles away & Laurie would love it. Although very crowded it is one of the most beautiful places on earth especially now with the spectacular waterfalls.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Hi Chet,

Nice to talk to you tonight. Hope you get on line OK. Someday I need to stop at SLC and do some research. Thought about it coming from Oregon but Pat didn't really want to spend the time. We'll do it on another trip. :)

I finally got the email going again after talking with you. Now I need to load all the other programs to the C: drive. Hope all the viruses are gone!!

Terry A. Brewer said:
I hope you are planning to go to Yosemite

Heads up for Chet .....

If you decide to visit Yosemite, make sure you approach from the south/west. Do not attempt to take Tioga Pass from Hwy 395. I was aware that Tioga Pass closes in winter months, but I was sure it was open now. A couple of days ago I sent some overseas visitors up to Tahoe/Reno, down Hwy 395 to Mono Lake, and over Tioga Pass to Yosemite. They called last night and said that Tioga Pass is still closed due to snow and they had to backtrack via Sonora Pass.

If you're coming along I-80 from SLC to Loomis and decide to visit Yosemite from there, your fastest route would be I-80 to I-99 to Hwy 120; Tioga Pass is a non-issue going this route.

BTW here's the road conditions for Yosemite: http://www.nps.gov/yose/  Wish I'd checked that before sending our guests over Tioga  :-[

Actually, we didn't leave SLC today. We been having such a good time looking up the family roots at the LDS Family History Library that we decide to stay a few more days and continue the research. Now we're planning on leaving on Saturday.

As far as our route, Tom, we're going across 50 to Carson City then up to Tahoe, around the lake to Truckee and then will jump on 80 there and continue west to Loomis. We used to live in CA, so have been to Yosemite several times. It's not in the plans this trip.

Chet18013

Chet18013 said:
We used to live in CA, so have been to Yosemite several times. It's not in the plans this trip.

HFWPOH, but of course you did. You were a rag sailor on SF bay for many years. Apologies, I wasn't thinking when I reacted to Terry's great suggestion to visit Yosemite, coupled with knowing you were in SLC and having just sent my visitors up 50 to Tahoe and down 395 to Tioga pass.

Tom said:
I wasn't thinking when I reacted to Terry's great suggestion to visit Yosemite, .

I used to go to Yosemite yearly while growing up, when they used to have The Fire Falls & I only once saw the falls the way they are now...Thats why I'm encouraging everyone to see then now if they possibly can.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Our visitors just came home from Yosemite. They thought the scenery was outstanding, which of course it is. We'll have to sit through a slide show in the morning  ::)

Chet,

Tried to email you but it was refused. I got your message about getting on line with Verizon. I tried again and it wouldn't connect to the server. Not sure if it's my problem again or not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom