LECO Carbon monoxide detector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mobetta

Hello All!
the Carbon monoxide detector in my 1998 Pleasure Way dodge van has been beeping very consistently and I don’t know how to turn it off. When I press the test button it tests the beeping and increases the amount of beeping and also the volume. Underneath the test button it says to test and reset according to manufacturers specifications.
please help stop this incessant beeping!
LECO
CCI Controls

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 6
Hello All!
the Carbon monoxide detector in my 1998 Pleasure Way dodge van has been beeping very consistently and I don’t know how to turn it off. When I press the test button it tests the beeping and increases the amount of beeping and also the volume. Underneath the test button it says to test and reset according to manufacturers specifications.
LECO
CCI Controls
Welcome.

If it's as old as the van, you should replace it anyway. Unscrew the two screws, pull unit out unit a few inches, there will probably be a connector on the rear that you can unplug.

It could also mean it is getting low voltage or is detecting something. But if it's been in there since 1998, it should be replaced regardless.

-Don- Reno, NV

Welcome.

If it's as old as the van, you should replace it anyway. Unscrew the two screws, pull unit out unit a few inches, there will probably be a connector on the rear that you can unplug.

It could also mean it is getting low voltage or is detecting something. But if it's been in there since 1998, it should be replaced regardless.

-Don- Reno, NV
To add to what Don said, most detectors (CO, smoke, propane) have a life of about 5 years before they should be replaced.

While it could be that your detector is contaminated somehow it most likely is just old. The better designed ones are designed to alarm if they fail so yours probably is dead. Amazon has a variety of them.
51+mFMYP0YL._AC_SS450_.jpg

CCI is out of business. They failed during the 2008 economic debacle. The Safe T Alert units are the best replacement, and are made by MTI Industries. The CCI units I am familiar with are flush mount and the Safe T Alert 30 series flush mount (LP detector alone) or the series 35 (LP and CO combined) are the best replacement.

Go to the MTI website and pick you model number including color suffix and then search the net or Amazon for the best deal.

Charles

When I wrote the above post, I was largely thinking LP detector. Yours is CO and appears to be mounted above a cabinet or somewhere well off the floor. If that is the case, I assume you have an LP detector somewhere. CO is a neutral buoyancy gas and as such, the detector can be mounted just about any level. LP on the other hand is heavier than air, and needs to be mounted at near floor level, while smoke generally starts out rising up. My trailer came new in 2008 with a battery powered smoke/CO combination detector mounted on the ceiling First Alert Powered Alarm SCO5CN Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector, Battery Operated and I immediately replaced it with the exact same device in 2020 after I purchased the trailer.

The LP detector is 12v DC powered and was a Safe T Alert unit that I replaced with a dual LP/CO unit Safe-T-Alert by MTI Industries 35-742-BR 35 Series Dual LP/CO Alarm - Flush Mount, Brown.

In the case of the OP, it would make no sense to buy a dual LP/CO unit if the detector is not mounted near the floor, so the best solution would be a Marine Mini Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Trim Ring which "comes with a trim ring to cover existing screw holes and fit newer units into previous installation cutouts." This translates into a replacement for the CCI units which are a fraction longer than the MTI units. They call it a Marine unit but there is no reason it could not be used in an RV.

Any of your detectors that are over about 5 years old should be replaced. That is one of the very first things I did to my trailer after I bought it in Nov 2019.

Charles

Hello All!
LECO
CCI Controls
Others are way more knowledgeable than I could ever be BUT I did have an issue with the Safe T Alert thing CO monitor in my new to me 1997 Leisure Travel Van -it would beep when we first started the engine and then stop beeping after a few minutes when my house batteries were not feeding it( I had zero power coming from my house batteries) NOW that I have juice coming from my house batteries it glows green and stays quiet. iT will beep if I press the test button -would it actually alert me to a “ real problem” I have no idea, It was factory installed but I don’t know if it was ever updated.I also have another alert gizmo safe t alert closer to the floor that I have to activate via a switch that I suspect someone installed -I believe it monitors propane -I leave it off, I also leave my propane off-I don’t know enough about either of these systems to activate any propane yet - Good luck with diagnosing your issue -the beeping really was annoying

Back
Top Bottom