LED replacements for tail and clearance lights for my 5'er.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OldSoldier

I am considering replacing the the tail and clearance lights on my 5'er with LED versions.  I understand that LEDs are brighter, longer lasting and more reliable than single filament incandescent bulbs.  Additionally if a section of the LED does fail at least a portion of the remainder of the fixture will work until it can be replaced.

Any ideas?  Comments?  Suggestions?

Old Soldier,

I too am planning on replacing my lights with LED's. Yes, they are brighter, draw less current, and have expected lifetimes measured in tens of thousands of hours. The probability of even one in a cluster going bad is quite slim. I'm also going to go with the left and right turn arrows that light up sequentially. The only negative thing I can think of is that you must be very careful when first installing them, to make sure the polarity is correct. In the unlikely event you get it backwards, you can say "Goodbye" to that light. They're very intolerant of reverse voltage.

The LED lights are excellent.  I'm even using one of them (an amber marker light) as a night light in the toilet room - it provides a generaous amber glow and I can run it all night even when we don't have shore power.  Amp draw is next to nothing!

I have replaced SOME of the lights on my MH with LED's.

I think the LED's look, well "Sexier" I guess would the best term, However that is not the reason for using them

My rig is less than a year old, I've already had a lamp fail due to burn out,  LED's last a long long time

To my eyes the tungsten lights look brighter

But those, are on the towed anyway,  The LED's do a very fine job,  Last a long, long, long, time and it's very likely  I won't last long enough to replace those leds

John,

To my eyes the tungsten lights look brighter

They could very well be brighter. As you well know, some LED's put out much more light than others for a given amount of current and, unlike a filament lamp, their beam is highly directional, so off-center viewing makes them appear much dimmer than head-on viewing.

Like you, Gary, I put blue LED's in all my overhead light fixtures to provide enough light to navigate around during the night, but not so much as to interfere with sleep. Each one has a resistor to limit current flow to about 6ma., and they're on 24/7. 

RV Roamer said:
The LED lights are excellent.  I'm even using one of them (an amber marker light) as a night light in the toilet room - it provides a generaous amber glow and I can run it all night even when we don't have shore power.  Amp draw is next to nothing!

Gary:

We use one of these on the toilet seat. Red light means danger for the women at night.

http://store.yahoo.com/xcom/tllalanatoni.html

RV Roamer said:
Cute, Jeff!  Another "marriage saver" type of product.  ;D

When I was given it as a gift by our FMCA chapter Sue laughed but now if the batteries run down she is the first to notice!

Back
Top Bottom