Leisure Way Unity Murphy Bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Any one own one of these. How do you like it and have you had any mechical or workmanship issues? The style we might like would cost about $165k but we have not looked at one in the flesh yet. Figure our 20 year old van has about 1-2 years left. Rust is starting bubble through in several areas. The Leisure Way Unity Murphy Bed has the best layout we have found that matches our life style. Would like to ditch the big screen TV for more storage but that is shown as standard. The Green TARDIS is 22 feet long and the Unity is 25 feet. Not bad. Will see who has some and get a real look. Your comments though would be helpful. The Wonder also has a Murphy bed for more interior usable space and is in the $140k price range. The main problem I see is a lack of dealerships. Only one in Michigan!!

Last edited:

Len and Jo

Well, we are focusing on the Wonder Leisure Travel Van with a rear lounge and and rear Murphy bed and no slide outs. In a small B+ RV we really like the idea of multi-tasking the rear area. Wonder vs. Unity.....a plus for the Wonder is it does not have the Unity standard pop up zombie screen in the front seating area. Area is more functionally driven. There is a recessed TV next to the kitchen counter but it looks like that can be easily removed and replaced with storage shelves. There would still be a small TV in the rear lounge/bedroom. In general it looks like a good layout for or wants and needs. Will travel to Ohio dealership in the near future to kick the tires on one. Leisure only builds about 8,000 units per year and there is about a 2 year waiting period to get one, and that would be in line with my Green TARDIS end of life projection.

Gizmo

They look like nice rigs. We are toying with the idea of going this route as well. Too early to tell for sure with us, but so far the Unity Murphy Bed is the winner. I hope you get more responses to your query.

Isaac-1

Keep in mind the murphy bed used in these coaches is an evolving design, and seems to improve a bit each year.

Gizmo

Keep in mind the murphy bed used in these coaches is an evolving design, and seems to improve a bit each year.
Good to know. Luckily for us we are only considering this and if we were to go ahead, would not go forward with a purchase for at least a year more likely 2-years.

Len and Jo

We are looking seriously at the Wonder model. Really like the layout. One short coming is it appears the battery bay only holds two 100A? batteries (their spec sheets leave to be desired). Would really like 600 watts of solar and 400 amps of battery. The roof though looks like there is not enough free space for two more panels. Also some of the present panels could have an issue of shadowing for other roof equipment. Now focusing on lithium batteries (160A's available rather than 100A) and faster charging when the sun is out. Also adding the macerator system for remote camping. Could us it and a 5 gal. "water" container to dump in outhouse. Since 2 lithium batteries would weigh about 60 lbs vs 160 lbs for to AGM's I could add two more lithium batteries in another bay and parallel wire them (a thought). Would also add water restrictions to all water lines to help control consumption. The Green TARDIS uses 1 gpm pumps so we do not waste water. Want to find out how much water is used for each toilet flush, that can be a big waste of water. Has anyone modified one of these RV toilets to reduce water consumption? Our present Port-a-potty uses about 0.1 gallons per flush. The more I think the more questions. Want enough to flush but no more.

Len and Jo

Leisure says the refrig is a Dometic 6.7cf three way w both right and left door opening. I find a Dometic RDM10.5XT 6.0cf that looks like it but for the cf and it is 230v (assume the Wonder would be 110v. Dometic lists the power consumption as 4,400 watts over a 24 hour period!!!! So on 12 VDC that would suck the batteries (lithium or AGM) inside out!! That would imply that propane is really needed for extended dry camping. The Wonder has a 13 gallon propane tank that I ASSUME would hold 10 gallons or so of propane. Need to figure out how much propane the refrig would suck up in 24 hours. I think that 400 watts of solar panels could supply about 2000 watts of energy to the lithium batteries on a sunny Michigan day (avoiding all the shading trees for about 6 hours).

Well, the propane use was an easy one to estimate. The RDM10.5XT listed consumption of propane is 453 grams per 24hr period. We would use about the same amount of energy in our Coleman stove (white gas though) in a day. So 900 grams of propane per day indicates that the kitchen refrig and stove will drain the 10 gallon propane tank in about 16 days.....two weeks of camping w/o the furnace. IF, IF the refrig could run for say half a day on solor that could stretch the propane tank. Anyway these are my back of a napkin scratching.

Last edited:

Len and Jo

Just hit a VERY BIG speed bump with the 2021 Leisure Travel Van Wonder 24RL.........It was labeled OCCC. Should have looked at it first and saved time. OCCC is so important but yet so hard to find. But of course if everyone was really kept aware of it and used it than less high profit margin options might be sold.

Last edited:

Len and Jo

Still looking at them. Sales rep in his video said t lbs instead of kilograms. 2.2X more OCCC. Now it looks better. Joanne really likes the RL and I do to. We both prefer the Ford chassis over the MB. I would put add two additional lithium 100w batteries if we go with Leisure Travel Vans. The refrig looks beautiful but drinks power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrkevin
Top Bottom