Lessons learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Svenska

Well, we finally took our 1st trip this weekend and it was...eventful.?
We had to use an extention cord for my coffeemaker because all the outlets on
the drivers side were out.? This same "power" problem was an issue with the fridge'
so that it would not run on electricity either.? ???
Next the cab AC went out.? 92 degrees outside!
We called our dealer and were told to come in on the way home and they would
see what they could do for us.....................
Long story short, lesson learned.? :-\? 3 hours in the dealership lounge for 2 wires and a breaker switch!? ?
Also found out that we are going to have to replace most of the locks in the storage compartments because they will not lock.? Oh well.?
We still had a great time and are going away again this weekend.? Oregon, here we come.? :D

Sorry to hear about the problems with your rig.

FWIW the only outlets on the driver's side of my coach that work when running off the inverter are the refridgerator and freezer. The others only work when plugged into shore power. The wiring diagrams confirm that's the way the factory intended to wire things. Don't know if this applies in your case.

If it's any consolation, most of us have had to fine tune our RV's to get the bugs out...with patience and endurance and the cooperation of your dealer or factory service center, you will get them corrected.

How is the quality of your dealer's work?

How do you determine the quality of your dealer except over time?? Because it is a used rv, we bought an extended warranty.? We really need to find someone closer to our home to work out the bugs.? We found the rv on a road trip that we were taking, so the dealer that we got it from is to far from us to make any repair work convenient.?
It's all ok though, because we have to expect some problems here and there.?
We are also in the process of looking for a motorcycle carrier for the rear.? We do not want to tow it so it has to be the right one and it has to be installed correctly.? It is a heavy motorcycle.
For now, we are having a ball and our next long weekend will be a test as we will do all the hook ups for the first time.? It will be interesting!
This is so much fun!!! :D??

Hi Svenska!
Glad you're still able to laugh in spite of the inconveniences ;D

You may want to post a separate topic in the Tech Talk section relating to your motorcycle carrier. There are some concerns relating to weight distribution and/or tongue weight that others on the Forum can offer advice on, as several of them carry or tow motorcycles too. (You don't want your steering wheels being lifted off the pavement!!)

Also found out that we are going to have to replace most of the locks in the storage compartments because they will not lock.  Oh well. 

If you haven't already you might try soaking them in WD40 and waiting a few days. Mine were that way on an early Pcae Arrow and finally freed up.

Thank you Karl.? I will move over to that area with a few questions.? Our dealer did tell us about the distribution issue.  As for the "wheels off the pavement"...? Thanks but no thanks.......? We have done that on the motorcycle (ok, so it was along time ago!!)  but I think we will pass on trying that in the rv!! :eek:
Thanks to you too Jeff.? Unfortunately it is not that the locks have "seized up", they won't grab onto the "lip" on the inside of each cabinet.

How do you determine the quality of your dealer except over time?

I think one can evaluate the competence and attitude of a dealer's technicians, their work ethic and the dealer's willingness to help in just one visit.? Bring a few items to their attention and watch them work...I mean stand over them while they work.? You will see very quickly if they conscientiously work on your coach, or if they treat your coach with disrespect.

If you don't like the way they are working, ask them to stop and remove your coach from the premises.? Incompetent RV technicians can do more damage in one session than you would want.

Another way would be to visit a dealer without your coach and take a tour of the service facility.? If you see the technicians swearing and throwing tools around...you can safely assume you don't want them touching your coach!

What you are saying about identifying competent shops is true.  While in Yuma I had to get some work done on the Grand Cherokee.  Stopped by the Yuma Jeep Dealer and after just talking to the service writer and looking in the shop I knew they were not competent enough to work on anything I own.  We were so impressed with their competency we elected to drive from Yuma to Phoenix, (over 300 miles RT) to get the work done at Bill Luke Jeep.  It was well worth the drive to have things done right.

"RV time" does not equal "real time"....
Our trip to Oregon was a long trip.?
That said...we had a wonderful time.? Stayed at Ocean Beach Oregon, and although it was beautiful, the park was lacking and as I said, way to far away.? Spent our last night at Lake Siskiyous by Mt. Shasta in California and we were sorry that we had not spent the whole time there.? Crystal clear lake that was PERFECT for wading in.? Nothing better that tootsies in the water while drinking a cup of coffee.?
Before I forget, has anyone stayed on Shasta Lake and can you recommend a place??Also, Monterey,CA? Lake Siskiyous will be hard to beat.
Found a few more bugs, not the least of which is the air conditioner.? Needs a shot of "cool stuff" (my husbands department).?
We are ready to go again........now would be good!!
Ok,...work to play.? I can do that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom