Level trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pappi49

I think we all agree that the best towing experience is met by having a trailer that is level or slightly nose down. My questions is, what is considered to be "slightly nose down". I am sure everyone has there own views on this, Not trying to start an argument, just curious as I have not seen any mention of this on any of the forums that I frequent.

I tow a 30 foot toy hauler so I would think that slightly could be anywhere from 1/2 inch to possibly 6 inches. Over 30 feet that does not seem like all that much but would like to know what others think. As I said just trying to gain some more information regarding towing a travel trailer.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

toy haulers are always nose heavy and seeing as you pulling it with a half ton i would expect the rear of your truck sags alot - you also have a factory rake on the truck with the rear being higher than level so that when you hook up a trailer the back end sits more level - the more level the back of the truck with the trailer on level ground the better - which you already know - so how much lower is it sitting? if its more than a couple of inches you may want to look at some air bags to level out the ride - in part because if its dropping too much the front of the truck is getting too light
my dually drops 6 inches to level when i put on my 5er

Actually, just looking at it, appears to be sitting level. I have not really measured the trailer itself, but manage to get the front back to pre hitch measurements. I am asking because I am going to adjust my WDH a little and was wondering what was acceptable as far as nose down is concerned. The receiver on the truck as an awful lot of up and down play(1/4" +) so I thought that possibly readjusting the hitch may improve the towing.

I have not been out yet this year due to issues but the last time out the trailer would feel as if it would move one way or another and immediately settle down. Since this is my first trailer it is an uncomfortable feeling but I am not sure if that is normal or not. I have not had it over a CAT scale yet but my Surline was reading about 850 lbs. of tongue weight on our trip last year. This was with a trailer that was loaded almost to the max(7900 lb. GVWR) for a 3 month tip out west. It included a 900 lb. bike and full water tanks. I have since moved the bike a little further forward in order to get a little more tongue weight.

I don't think nose-down is good at all, but it's better than nose-up. If down, I would like to see it no more than a couple inches low.

A sagging rear end on the tow vehicle is simply a maladjusted ball WD. A lot of weight is no reason for having a nose-down attitude.. The only acceptable reason (in my opinion) is a difference in the ride height between trailer and tow vehicle (a tall trailer), and even that should be managed by adjusting the ball mount up or down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom