Leveler leaking ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasamski

One of the four levelers on my 2011 Southwind sprung a leak, probably because the tire on that side was a few inches off the ground for about a week. Does anyone know how much it costs to fix? Would it be under warranty for a 2011 model RV? Thanks.

I doubt that having one wheel off the ground for a week would do any damage to a leveler.

Back in 2006, I had all eight wheels (I have a tag)  off the ground, via the levelers for nearly a month and I've never had a leveler problem.

The first time I had a leaking jack it cost around $200 but I worked at the dealership. The last time it was around $500!! Labor is not cheap.

The first problem was due to the coach being jacked up too high when they were working on a refer problem and left it that way overnight. Too much strain on the seals. The second was when the jack was lowered onto an unseen rock and slipped off suddenly.

When you say it sprung a leak do you mean it is loosing pressure and not holding the coach level or actually leaking fluid on the ground? If it is just loosing pressure it could be anything in the circuit. If actually leaking fluid then you need to determine (if you haven't already) if it is leaking from a fitting or the actual jack cyl seals and running down the ram.
Not too often a jack goes bad that soon, unless it was defective from the mfr and usually it shows up pretty quick. You might want to check the ram to see if it was hit with something and scratched etc to where it would hurt the seal when being retracted? I'm ruling out a bent ram assuming it retracts ok.
Either way if you have a warranty in effect it should be their problem unless it is a fitting leaking or they can see external damage on the jack.
As Lou says the wheel in the air is no problem for the jack. I wouldn't go into that though because I think your manual probably says not to do that.

Your Southwind came with a one year warranty, which is probably expired by now unless you took delivery after October 1 of 2011.

Raising a wheel off the ground should not cause damage - the jack should have plenty of capacity for that. No single corner of that coach weighs more than about 3tons and each jack should have more capacity than that.

Unless you  are seeing fluid on the ground, the problem is more likely a failing valve than the jack itself. That's a fairly simple replacement. If you are seeing fluid dripping out, then see if a local hydraulic repair shop and fix it. Rv dealers and jack manufacturers either charge an arm & a leg, or simply want to replace the whole jack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom