Leveling Jacks not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonpach

I am considering purchasing a 1999 Coachman Catalina (Class A, 34 ft)with 54K miles. During the inspection it was discovered that the Leveling Jack's do not work. The dealer will not replace the jacks.

I have read that some use Scissor Jacks to level/stabilize, use that a viable option? I have read about Electric Levelers, is that an option or do I walk away and look for another RV.

Any help is appreciated and value different opinions.

You're not leveling a 10+ ton motorhome with scissor jacks.

Just because the levelers don't work doesn't mean 100% of every part of them has failed. Could be a power problem with the controller or pump, a bad pump, low fluid, or any combination of simple or obvious defects that are readily repaired. If you really like the RV then it might be worth fixing, or paying have fixed, the jack system. I would treat this as an opportunity to deduct from the sale price and factor that towards restoring the system.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I don't use our auto levelers any more on our Class C. I make sure I have the RV level with blocks under whatever tires and use 4 scissor jacks to make the RV stable. Going on a few years wtih no issues outside the jacks are heavy and I use 14"x14" x 1/4" steel plates to set jacks on

It would be hard for me to give up the convenience of auto-leveling for our motorhome. I think if the unit was an otherwise good deal, I would do as previously suggested and make it a bargaining point with the intention of fixing, or having a professional fix, the system. As also said, it' not likely that the entire system is bad, just some component that may be easily repaired/replaced at a nominal cost. You could be passing up a good deal for the price of a fuse...

You could be passing up a good deal for the price of a fuse...

...and there could also be other things wrong with the rig that the dealer is not disclosing. Did they tell you about the non-working levelers, or did you discover it? As with any large purchase, make sure you try/test everything before any purchase agreements.

You'll definitely want a leveling system in place, so the next key would be to find out what's wrong and how much it will cost to repair. If this motorhome checks every other box on your purchase list, and this particular dealer doesn't offer a repair option, then it might be worth paying a mobile RV tech to inspect and give you an estimate.

I would suggest you have an independent inspection done of the entire rig and all of its operating systems. Personally if the dealer told me they wouldn't replace/repair the jacks, and anything else discovered upon inspection, I would walk. Clearly they know something you do not and are trying to keep it that way.

The fact that you had to ask this question suggests you lack the RV experience to adequately inspect a used RV by yourself. A professional inspection is advised, but maybe rather expensive for a 22 year-old RV. You could hire a mobile RV repair tech for an hour or two and ask him to give the RV a quick check - probably around $100/hr. An inspection by a professional RV inspector would probably run $500 pr more.

Leveling jacks are a major convenience item. Some owners have people lived without them for years, but levelers have been pretty much standard on class A coaches for the last 2-3 decades.

Levelers "not working" covers a lot of possible problems and repair costs. If the price is attractive enough, you can maybe afford to gamble. Since you haven't described what sort of problem there is or the asking price, it's hard to be of much help.

My impression is that this is an "as is" sale, not uncommon for a 22 year old RV, so getting the dealer to do anything significant to it as a condition of the sale is likely futile. If the dealer will allow it, the suggestion to have a mobile tech go over it could be a good investment though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom