leveling off my camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Might be a stupid question but I got my camper set up last weekend where its gonna sit and not be moved for a while.

Id like to use the built in jacks that are part of the camper at all 4 corners and raise it up off the ground so that I can remove wheels and deter theft.

Its in a secluded area, no-one really around but possibly meth heads walking thru the woods may stumble upon it.

Is this possible or are these jacks really not built for this?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 56
No, those jacks are for leveling only.
If I were wanting to do that, I would use concrete blocks and make piers right close to each leveling jack and use shims on  top to make sure they are snug. Then I would jack up each wheel using a regular jack placed under the axle shackle and remove each wheel

Jack L

JackL said:
If I were wanting to do that, I would use concrete blocks and make piers right close to each leveling jack and use shims on  top to make sure they are snug. Then I would jack up each wheel using a regular jack placed under the axle shackle and remove each wheel

Jack L

NO, NO, NO!!!

They are not LEVELING jacks, they are STABILIZING jacks.  While they might carry the load, they put the weight at the ends of the frame.

Build block piers as close as possible to the axles to support the trailer.

1930 said:
Its in a secluded area, no-one really around but possibly meth heads walking thru the woods may stumble upon it.

Where it's in a secluded area, I would also be thinking about leaving the door unlocked. Being secluded, it would be easy for someone to destroy the door to get in and no one would hear them. Just take out the expensive things you want to save.

Stabilizers. Not leveling jacks. They're not intended to lift weight.

JackL said:

Jack L

Absolutely right !
  I used the wrong word when I said "leveling". I should have and meant to say "stabilizing jacks".
Thanks for correcting me

Jack L

Rene T said:
Where it's in a secluded area, I would also be thinking about leaving the door unlocked. Being secluded, it would be easy for someone to destroy the door to get in and no one would hear them. Just take out the expensive things you want to save.

That's why we never locked our S&B home in 23 years.  We're 17 miles out of town, a mile down a dirt road that only has 2 other houses between us and the pavement.  You could drive a U-Haul truck into my yard and load the whole house and no one would ever know.  Why bother to lock it?
That being said, we never had a problem in 26 years of living there, and several times we were gone for months at a time.

It's secluded in that it's .5 mile down an unpaved road and only one home across from me that may be central Florida largest manuf. of meth.

On top of that they aren't thrilled I'm developing my property cause thru the survey I learned that their access road to their property was placed thru my property 30 years ago by the original owner of the home they live in. (They have been there many years themselves and put money into graveling this road thru my property)

They have several unpaved access roads to their home but of course they want to continue to use my property cause it's the most direct

Anyway I'm concerned

1930 said:
Might be a stupid question but I got my camper set up last weekend where its gonna sit and not be moved for a while.

Id like to use the built in jacks that are part of the camper at all 4 corners and raise it up off the ground so that I can remove wheels and deter theft.

Is this possible or are these jacks really not built for this?
use a floor jack, bottle jack, jack the frame up, put blocks under the frame, DO NOT USE THE STABLIZIER JACKS !. looking at your pic ?, is it me ?, or is your roof air conditioner facing sideways ??.

Thanks, no its facing the correct way, not sure why there are holes in ths sides of the cover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom