LG6100 db Signal Strength

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueblood

Someone with a LG6100 can check this but a person on another site says  one can get a signal strength reading in db by doing the following:

Go to Menu and push 0 seven times, then 2, then 1

Hit CLR to exit display

joelmyer said:
worked for me with lg4600

That's good. It provides several benefits from my viewpoint. First. one can apply an external antenna and accurately measure its impact. Second, one can determine if signal is strong enough to pass data cleanly. Anthing over 90 is supposed to be NG.

Hello Blueblood:

blueblood said:
That's good. It provides several benefits from my viewpoint. First. one can apply an external antenna and accurately measure its impact. Second, one can determine if signal is strong enough to pass data cleanly. Anthing over 90 is supposed to be NG.

It also works on the LG6100. One reason I switched from Cingular was the poor reception I received in a number the areas I travel.  Reception from any carrier is lower in the pocket my rig is currently located (and will be parked when at this home base for me), but is for sure better w/Verizon. Also, an associate w/Verizon has verified that the signal in my other areas of travel work well for him -- so we shall see.

When I enter the codes you post, a series of parameters are displayed -- the first being the SID. Is that Signal Strength? Mine this AM inside my rig is 112. Voice calls seem to be fine -- but haven't tried getting on the net with the MOK. Also, what is your NG acronym? I hope it doesn't mean No Good. :)

I'll check it in other areas where I know there is solid coverage from Verizon.

Thanks for the post. I LOVE digital readouts vs. analog. 8) My next chore here is to begin looking at external antennaes. The LG1600 has such jack port, which was another requirement of my purchase.

Yes NG does mean No Good

I don't have phone -yet - doing research at present. The poster was using a LG3200 and said the word Rx Power were at bottom of screen and db value below it.

blueblood said:
Yes NG does mean No Good

I don't have phone -yet - doing research at present. The poster was using a LG3200 and said the word Rx Power were at bottom of screen and db value below it.

OK -- now the SID has leading zeros -- and looks more like an ID of some kind.

The Rx reading is -078. The minus sign threw me, in that I was looking for a positive number for SS. As you move the phone around, the number changes - so you don't have to re enter the display each time you move to find the peak location. Once the 7 zeros are entered (and the screen displays 7 question marks so you don't even have to count them) a new menu appears. The "2" is the second item on that menu - and the 1 from the next. So the 7 zeros gets one into all kind of diagnostics -- that are probably best left alone. :-\

Bob Buchanan said:
OK -- now the SID has leading zeros -- and looks more like an ID of some kind.

The Rx reading is -078. The minus sign threw me, in that I was looking for a positive number for SS. As you move the phone around, the number changes - so you don't have to re enter the display each time you move to find the peak location. Once the 7 zeros are entered (and the screen displays 7 question marks so you don't even have to count them) a new menu appears. The "2" is the second item on that menu - and the 1 from the next. So the 7 zeros gets one into all kind of diagnostics -- that are probably best left alone. :-\

From what I have read, cell phone test equipment would measure -20 dbm right next to a base station. As one moves out from a tower out to a reading of  -120 dbm the signal is no longer fit for GSM transmission. That seems to fit with the statement that was made that numbers larger than -90 would not be fit for data transmission. 

It also works on a LG4400b.

The display says: SID  00021, Mode  C,  Channel 0160,  AC State  2, Ec/Io  -08.5 (varies to -31.5), Rx Power -085, Tx Power [blank], P_REV_IN_USE  6, Active Pilot  468,  Active Pilot  [blank],  Active Pilot  [blank],  Vocoder [blank], Call time [blank], Power Lvl.  [blank], Temperature  29,  Batt  4.08, PA_ON  [blank], HDET  [blank],  LNA Range  [blank].

Don't know what it means but these are the values.

Len and Jo said:
It also works on a LG4400b.

The display says: SID  00021, Mode  C,  Channel 0160,  AC State  2, Ec/Io  -08.5 (varies to -31.5), Rx Power -085, Tx Power [blank], P_REV_IN_USE  6, Active Pilot  468,  Active Pilot  [blank],  Active Pilot  [blank],  Vocoder [blank], Call time [blank], Power Lvl.  [blank], Temperature  29,  Batt  4.08, PA_ON  [blank], HDET  [blank],  LNA Range  [blank].

Don't know what it means but these are the values.

Well, the key one is Rx Power and at -85 your in pretty good shape for data if the posters advise that above -90 is NG, (A lower number is better just like golf  ;D )

Well now that the signal strength can be measured, has anyone used one of those add on antennas?  The kind that are sold at truck stops.  Through the glass or magnetic mount on the roof.  Do they REALLY increase reception?  It looks to me that most LG models have an antenna port on them.

FYI
To answer my own (old) question.? My LG4400b telephone:? Rx number improves by about 7 w external antenna.? The antenna I used for this test is one made? by Wilson with adaptor for LG4400b telephone.? So - external antenna (cost $39 at Flying J plus $10 adapter) does increase signal strength.? Also see this on telephone display with 5 bar signal when wifes identical telephone dispays less then 5 bars --2-3 bars.

Thanks for the report Len. Sorry you didn't receive a reply to your prior message.

The number you're reading is the signal-to-noise ratio. Lower numbers are GOOD!

The thru-the-glass antennas are almost as good as direct wire connection. In either case, make sure it is for cell phone use i.e., 824-849 mHz. In antennas, longer is NOT better - it must be close to a multiple (or even fraction like 1/4, or 1/2) of the wavelength. In other words, don't buy a CB antenna and think it will work - even if they have adapters for your phone.

I did a better test this morning.? When the phone is in the signal strength db mode it appears to sample about every 2 seconds.? So I did an A-B-A-B test with 18 samples each.? The 'A' test was with my new external antenna and the 'B' test was cell telephone by itself.? All tests were done in RV parked in drive way.
A: -77.4db average of 18 samples
B: -82.6db average of 18 samples
A: -77.2db average of 18 samples
B: -85.1db average of 17 samples...through out a high sample of -106db other 17 ranged from -80 to -91

So based on this it appears my $50 bought me about a 5 to 8 db improvement when on the road.? :D

Tom -? No problem .... If I really "needed" an answer sooner I could have spent $50 sooner.

The one -106db signal strength reading I got...does that help explain why we sometimes drop calls???

Here is a web site that has info on all types of cell phone external antenna
http://www.alternativewireless.com/index.html

Hey I currently have an antenna and adapter that I use to boost the signal of my cell phone in my car... I have a Samsung t519, can also put it into test mode and this antenna helped improve my signal significantly by 9dBi! All you have to do is put he antenna on the roof of the car/rv and plug it into your cell phone or air card... easy enough for a signal boost. lol. I got mine from http://www.unwiredsignal.com/?c=136&cn=BLACKCAT%21+Cell+Phone+Antenna but I am thinking about upgrading to a regular mobile kit so I dont have to be plugged into my cell phone or have limited mobility.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom