LG6100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Well I have finally decided on my new cell phone.  Picked up an LG VX6100 today.

I have been unable to get onto the Internet the 4 days here at Kalispell MT so far until minutes ago. 

Long story.

First, no one in Montana appears to have the Verizon Mobile Office kit for the 6100.  So I can't use it yet.

Second Compuserve has no numbers in the Kalispell area so I cannot use dialup.

Finally it took me 4 days to get the hotel wireless broadband to work.  Air2 Data it is called.  Finally got it kludged, but it will crash when I log off.  Have to call them each time I want back in.

At any rate, is the LG VX6100 an ok phone for the Verizon back door?  Garry or anyone here know?

I assume if I can find the MOK in MD I might be able to use this phone.

Glad you got on from Kalispel, Mt.  Hope all is going well over there.  Good luck on finding the MOK for your new phone.  Enjoy your stay in Mt.

When we were on our Alaska trip w/o a local Compuserve number we used a 3.5 cent a minute telephone card to access Compuserve. ?Programmed all the required numbers in. ?Took a little practice to get delays right but in general it worked fine.

After reading all the messages on using cell phone for on the road connections, I have been investigating.  http://www.cell-phone-accessories.com has them.  We have a Verizon LG VX4400B and MOK(software + USB data cable) costs $24.49.  I don't know about shipping and time to ship....yet.  If your going to be in one place long enough maybe that web site might be an option.

Ron:

Got my Montana driver license this week so now an official MT resident.

Tomorrow getting MT tags for my cargo trailer.

Tuesday return to MD.? Delivery of new MH will be this week and tomorrow I should know the exact day.

Got any comparable prices yet on the tripod mount vs roof mount.? I am leaning heavily towards the roof mount the more I think about it.? I will be many places I do not want to have a tripod outside on ground.

Smoky,
Order the mobile office kit directly from Verizon. I think I gave you the web address in another thraead. Anyhow, that's what I did 'cause none of the Verizon stores had it.

Smoky,
And, yes, the 6100 with the mobile office kit works like a charm. I'm using it now.

Good advice Bruce.

I ordered it Monday, flew home Tuesday and it was already there!  LOL!  Fast overnight service and the shipping was free.  Guess I have to say at least one nice thing about Verizon.  Am going to try to set it up tonight following the Yahoo guide.

It is odd that Verizon delivers via the web so willingly but only stock the MOK in the brick and mortar stores for "retired" cell phones.

Makes me want to think they forgot to shut down the web access to an MOK for a current phone heheh.

>Am going to try to set it up tonight following the Yahoo guide.

Smokey,  I think you're trying too hard. 

I've installed the MOK for two phones now without a hitch.  Just rtfm that comes with the MOK.  Mine for an LG4500(?) had a peel off stickee on the usb cable that said don't plug in the phone until after you install the drivers.

I inserted disk one, then when instructed inserted disk two and the phone usb cable.

No pain, no strain, worked like a champ.

Here it is evening and I still have not got to it.  Constant interruptions, mostly about getting our septic approved for house close.

Smoky said:
Here it is evening and I still have not got to it.? Constant interruptions, mostly about getting our septic approved for house close.

Hope the house sale smooths out for you.  You just got to get the house done so you can come to Sams Camp.

Joel:

Gues I am not as skillful as you.

I did exactly as you did.  At the end the instructions say to double click the VZAccess mgr shortcut on the desltop.

Alas there is no VZAccess shrotcut on the desktop.

What now?

Smoky

Smokey,

The program you're looking for should be seen when you click on "Start" and then go to your "All Programs" listing. When you find it, RIGHT click on it, and one of the options will be "Send To", which will open a drop-down menu with the option "Desktop (create shortcut)". That will put a shortcut on your desktop AND leave it in the "All Programs" area too.

Thanks, we are all set now.

Works fine except I cannot figure out how to get Outlook 2003 to send out my mail replies.  I think it has to do with finding an SMTP server setting.  Any suggestions?

Smokey,

If you go into Outlook and click on "Tools", then "Accounts", it will bring up all your email accounts. Click on the one your working with (select it) and click on "Properties", then the "Servers" tab. The "Incoming Mail (POP3)" and "Outgoing Mail (SMTP)" must have the correct server name entered. In my case for the Escapees mail service it's "mail.escapees.com" for both, but some email servers will have one POP3 server name and a different name for the SMTP server. You may need to make a call to you ISP to find out what to put there for each of them. 

To send mail via the Verizon cell phone you will need an authenticated SMTP server.  Check with your email ISP to see if they have an ASMTP server available.  If not, and you're an Escapee, you can get an Escapee email address and use their ASMTP server to send your email.  An ASMTP server will work no matter how you connect to the internet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom