Licensing Requirements for RV Drivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a class A CDL and all the endorsements.  I own a 1998 Holiday Rambler 37 foot gas.  In my travels I have come to the conclusion that I support and hope all states form some license laws regulating the operations  of RV's  Not only large class A motorhomes but even Class C, 5th wheels and travel trailers.  It seems there is a large percentage of owners out there that cannot drive or tow these RV's properly.  Not only can they not maneuver them properly in tight conditions such as parking lots and RV parks.  They can't even keep them between the lines driving straight down the road.

vpic said:
My understanding of the law for driving: If you are legal in your home state ie: the vehicle tag and drivers license match then all other states will honor.

Only for items covered under the recipical agreements.  Weight limits, lengths, and double/triple towing are not included in the recipical agreements.

rtuhk - did you get your CDL just so you would feel better driving your motor home?

Oddly enough, most folks I see driving those big old Class As (or even the itty bitty TTs, 5vers, and Class Cs) seem to be pretty good at it.  Certainly, some confusion by new folks in tight RV parks but for the most part, we seem to do OK.  Shoot, some of us even manage to double tow without crashing into stuff.

I am from Utah and had never heard of it.  LOL  Dont know if its just not enforced or just not talked about or what.  I am under 26,000 so I am ok.

Al:

The chart shows the proper requirements for IL, WA, and SD when I lived in each and owned m/h over the past 8 years.

Does anyone actually get the R permit in NY or other states? What a pain! You have to bring someone with an R permit with you because you are not supposed to drive to or from the test site without the R permit.  We will have our legal address and licenses and registrations in NY but we will only be here a couple weeks in the spring and again in the fall each year. We will then get the vehicle inspections but we will not get R permits. We'll gamble. I called DMV here in Schenectady, NY and they never heard of it. It does exist but it's so rare even the cop I asked said he never heard of it.

Curious if anyone reading this forum has gotten the R permit in a state that requires a driving test.

Yes I got the R endorsement on my license last spring . When I  went to D.M.V  they knew about it but it took awhile to figure out the permit . You get the permit w/o test then schedule road test .The permit I think was $20 and you could take road test with out another charge. If you ask it seems most people don't know about it.This only applies to 26,001 lbs and up it replaced the class C non C.D.L. license,that most probably did not have.I have only had my Safari for just over a year so only no what I've done. DW is going to get hers this year

I find it hilarious that not even specific state gubments know what they required to accept without research!

Yet, lajuene says "We'll gamble...".

Can't help but snicker about the whole thing.

Let's see..If the gumment DMD doesn't know, and the cop doesn't know then how will they know how much it weighs if you find the one cop that really did hear about that law...you could probably tell them it weighs 25,000 and no one would check.......reminds me of a story....but I'll wait for it.

catblaster said:
Let's see..If the gumment DMD doesn't know, and the cop doesn't know then how will they know how much it weighs if you find the one cop that really did hear about that law...you could probably tell them it weighs 25,000 and no one would check.......reminds me of a story....but I'll wait for it.

Until the first fender bender.

I am a Class A CDL holder with endorsements for doubles-triples and haz-mat, it's what I do for a living. Basically I drag around a 105' long set of Rocky Mountain Doubles full of gasoline or diesel while dodging 4-wheelers with people behind the wheel that probably should have never reproduced in the first place, but I digress. ;D

Educate Yourself In The Name Of Safety

The point that just about everybody that has posted above seems to miss, is that the DOT rules were put into place to promote "Safety".  To go blissfully and ignorantly down the road with a substantial portion of your worldy possessions not to mention your loved ones on board with absolutely no clue as to the rules that govern any other vehicle of the same size just because those vehicles happen to have DOT numbers on the door is not a good idea.

Granted the vast majority of RV drivers do manage to get to their destination without any paint transfer but....why not avail yourself to all the information that is out there on the off chance that it might just save not only your life but somebody elses.  The fact remains that just 'cause you can do it legally doesn't mean it's smart.

I personally encourage ANY RV OWNER to go to DMV and at the very least pick up a copy of the CDL Class A manual and not only read it but study it well enough to pass the written test.  Unfortunately, most states won't let you take the CDL test without a valid medical card which means you'll have to chunk out about $100 for said card if you really want to take the test.  On the other hand, if you can't pass the DOT medical (about all that's required is a pulse), you really shouldn't be behind the wheel of ANYTHING in the first place.

Insurance

Should you go get your CDL you might also find that your insurance company believes that you are a lower risk and drop your rates.

Liability

Most of you reading this have spent the better part of your life preparing yourself for self-sufficiency and possibly a carefree retirement.  Now imagine that you are driving your Class A motorhome that weighs in at more than 30k and the unthinkable happens, you get involved in an accident and somebody dies.  You need to realize that the victims attorney is going to take all of that away if they can find ANY reason to blame YOU for the fatality, regardless of whether law enforcement has cleared you.  You don't even want to consider the consequences if you are found at fault or possibly negligent because you had not made the effort to ensure that you were properly trained to operate the land yacht of your dreams.

Sorry for getting up on my soap box but....I have had TWO class C RV's collide with the tanker that I was driving in the last five years.  Neither one of them had any idea when they got up in the morning that a poor decision on their part later in the day would put their life and that of their spouses in grave danger.

Foto-n-T said:
I am a Class A CDL holder with endorsements for doubles-triples and haz-mat, it's what I do for a living. Basically I drag around a 105' long set of Rocky Mountain Doubles full of gasoline or diesel while dodging 4-wheelers with people behind the wheel that probably should have never reproduced in the first place, but I digress. ;D

Educate Yourself In The Name Of Safety

The point that just about everybody that has posted above seems to miss, is that the DOT rules were put into place to promote "Safety".  To go blissfully and ignorantly down the road with a substantial portion of your worldy possessions not to mention your loved ones on board with absolutely no clue as to the rules that govern any other vehicle of the same size just because those vehicles happen to have DOT numbers on the door is not a good idea.

Granted the vast majority of RV drivers do manage to get to their destination without any paint transfer but....why not avail yourself to all the information that is out there on the off chance that it might just save not only your life but somebody elses.  The fact remains that just 'cause you can do it legally doesn't mean it's smart.

I personally encourage ANY RV OWNER to go to DMV and at the very least pick up a copy of the CDL Class A manual and not only read it but study it well enough to pass the written test.  Unfortunately, most states won't let you take the CDL test without a valid medical card which means you'll have to chunk out about $100 for said card if you really want to take the test.  On the other hand, if you can't pass the DOT medical (about all that's required is a pulse), you really shouldn't be behind the wheel of ANYTHING in the first place.

Insurance

Should you go get your CDL you might also find that your insurance company believes that you are a lower risk and drop your rates.

Liability

Most of you reading this have spent the better part of your life preparing yourself for self-sufficiency and possibly a carefree retirement.  Now imagine that you are driving your Class A motorhome that weighs in at more than 30k and the unthinkable happens, you get involved in an accident and somebody dies.  You need to realize that the victims attorney is going to take all of that away if they can find ANY reason to blame YOU for the fatality, regardless of whether law enforcement has cleared you.  You don't even want to consider the consequences if you are found at fault or possibly negligent because you had not made the effort to ensure that you were properly trained to operate the land yacht of your dreams.

Sorry for getting up on my soap box but....I have had TWO class C RV's collide with the tanker that I was driving in the last five years.  Neither one of them had any idea when they got up in the morning that a poor decision on their part later in the day would put their life and that of their spouses in grave danger.

Having held a CDL & drove coast-to-coast in all seasons I can pretty much agree w/most of your post except for the medical issue.
I lost my CDL privileges because I am on insulin. I can and do hold a motorcycle endorsement and am allowed to operate w/o any restrictions but can no longer hold a commercial or chauffeurs  license. I would venture to say that many of RV drivers have the same medical, diabetes, issue as I do. And since my state, Ohio, doesn't make exceptions for people who use insulin, I disagree with your advice as posted. My mind is sound and my body is willing and my experience and judgement should be the deciding factors.
As to insurance ....When I was CDL qualified it had no lowering effect nor did the safe driver awards issued by my company. The same for my rates when I reverted back to a regular drivers license. I think insurance company's look for reasons to raise not lower your costs, and yes I am a cynic.

George,

You bring up a good point regarding the diabetes.  I have a tendency to shoot fromt the hip once in a while when something gets me going.  I know plenty of truck drivers who suffer from diabetes but they are not insulin dependent, the insulin is definitely a deal breaker on the medical.  Medicals by the way are regulated by the feds, not the state.  I can't say it's a bad thing regarding CDL's though. As we know, truck drivers can and will do just about anything to stay on the road and making money and the lifestyle doesn't lend itself to good habits when it comes to eating and exercise.  That isn't to say that they all play fast and lose, but enough do to make it dangerous for the rest of us if insulin dependency was not a disqualifier.  When I first got my CDL a medical wasn't required to take the written test.  Unfortunately they changed that a few years ago.

The insurance thing varys from company to company.  I know that Progressive and Farmers could care less, Geico on the other hand did give me a slight discount but should I get so much as a parking ticket I'm sure that would go away.

Chet,

New to this forum.  Not new to RVing.    But it has come to my attention that I need a non commercial class A license. Saw your post during my research on what to do.  I am getting conflicting information from Harrisburg and local PennDot centers.  Harrisburg says I don't need to do written or driving test.  Local PennDot centers say I need to take driving test and air brake test but don't know anything about this.  Been driving my coach since 2006 without any problems.  Take it in yearly for required inspections and have the all the systems checked when I have the oil changed.  Have driven it from Texas to the East coast many times and now that I live here in PA, drive it west once a year.  Got a learners permit for class b.  Called the number on the permit to schedule a driving test, spoke with Rep, she said I didn't need to do a driving test.  Just fill out form DL901, which I had, she walked me thru filling out the form, suggested that I get a class A, told me to sign it, take a check for $13.50 to local PennDot and that was all that was needed and I would get an updated duplicate.  Currently I am waiting on a call back from someone in Harrisburg, who, hopefully will be able to give me what is required and what I have to do, in writing. 

Michigan:
CDL Exemptions
The following people do not need a CDL:
Individuals: Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes.

I've never seen anyone do this but there is an endorsement for double towing:
Recreational Double "R" Endorsement
A "recreational double" is a pickup truck pulling a fifth wheel trailer designed for recreational living purposes, with a second trailer attached to the rear of the fifth wheel trailer. The pickup truck must have a towing rate equal to, or greater than, the total weight being towed. To operate a recreational double, you must have an "R" endorsement on your driver license. Anyone age 18 or older with a valid driver license may apply for this endorsement at a branch office. A knowledge test is required. There is no skills test. Drivers holding a Group "A" CDL with a "T" double or triple trailers endorsement can operate a recreational double without the "R" endorsement. Triple trailers are not permitted in Michigan. For more information, obtain a copy of the brochure A Recreational Double Endorsement at a Secretary of State branch office or from this web site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom