Lies and damn lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueblood

I had an interesting walk through the FMCA new coach display today. Without identifying my past affiliation with Cummins, I asked the salesmen in Fleetwood area why no Cummins in their products. These salesmen were from various dealers; yet all had same explanation. Cummins engines were not compliant with EPA stds. Well, first, one couldn't sell engines to anyone if they weren't compliant and since Cummins are in Monaco's and others that hardly makes sense. However, the real story is even more telling. Engines may be compliant but not certified. Certification means one can produce them without penalties. Cummins ISM, ISX and ISB are all ready certified  for 2007 . The ISL and ISC are compliant but not certified. Cummis is trading the credits being earned for shipping engines certified to 2007 stds to pay for the shipments of these non-certified engines until they are certified for 2007. The reason these two are not certified is that they haven't yet been released using EGR technology.  The trade off process was used by CAT before rel;ease of ACERT. CAT doesn't have any 2007 certified engines that I know of and buzz on street is that they may have to drop ACERT and go the EGR route the same as all others.

The reason these two are not certified is that they haven't yet been released using EGR technology.

OK, inquiring minds(mine) want to know. WHAT is EGR technology? And how will it affect my use of my 8V92 Detroit diesel engine?

TNX,
Liz

And how will it affect my use of my 8V92 Detroit diesel engine?

It doesn't. The new federal diesel emissions standards apply to new engine production only.

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation, an emissions reduction technology that has been in use on gas engines for years.  Basically it captures some of the gaseous waste and re-circulates back into the engine to be burned.

Back
Top Bottom