life on wheels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsalov

hi there,
i'm a first time buyer and looking to move out of my apartment and into a home on wheels. i'm planning on doing this for the next 2 years or so. i'm single so i don't need too much space, but something that would be comfortable to live out of. my budget is pretty tight (about $15000), but i'ld like to get something used and reliable. i'm looking for any advice you can give me.
thanks

Hi Jsalov.

Let me jump in given that none of the experts has jet jumped in (I still consider myself a newbie) :).

You're single, but how old?  It just may be that the older you are the more "comforts" you need--length of unit, slides, toys like generators and microwaves and flatscreen TVs, etc. ;D

Will you be working (a "day job") and this is indeed your home? or, will you just be lolly-gagging about--while it is still your home, this version needs to be more like the shell of the tortoise, I think.

Budget of $15K--get to the NADA site (I think that's the one) and you'll get a sense of what $15K will buy in terms of Class C and Class A units.  My hunch is that a Class C may be where you want to look first--more rig for the dollar than with a Class A.

I do hope the pros chime in soon to correct me and to give you the real stuff.

Ciao,

Doug

jsalov said:
hi there,
i'm a first time buyer and looking to move out of my apartment and into a home on wheels. i'm planning on doing this for the next 2 years or so. i'm single so i don't need too much space, but something that would be comfortable to live out of. my budget is pretty tight (about $15000), but i'ld like to get something used and reliable. i'm looking for any advice you can give me.
thanks

What you are looking for is a trailer or motorhome for full time use, as opposed to one designed for vacation use.  That puts you immediately into a higher price bracket, new or used.  That's the bad news.    The good news is that RV financings is considered by the Feds to be a mortgage if the loan is a lien on the RV -- makes it deductible.    It is unclear if that $15,000 is cash on hand or total possible financing.  If it is cash available, then you have a good down payment on new trailer for full time use.  Ten year financing should be easy to come by.

Another thing that is unclear, is whether you intend travel with your home on wheels, or whether you intend to park it permanently.  If it is the former, you are looking for an RV and you are in the right place.  If it is the latter, then it is a mobile home or modular home and you may be barking up the wrong tree with us. 

I will assume the former  -- you will be traveling.  Now the decision is whether to go for a trailer, conventional or 5th wheel, or a motorhome.  For the former you will need a tow vehicle -- some sort of truck or van.  If the latter you will need to tow a transportation and errand-running vehicle which we call a dingy or toad.  However, not all trucks and vans can tow all trailers and not all cars can be towed.  There we would need to know your specifics.

Having answered your questions with yet more questions, we'll have to wait on your reply.  :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom