lifting generator exhaust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhioJohnny

We RV to the race track 3 weekends a month. Lifting the exhaust from our Kohler 5k genny is required in the pits. I'm open to running a longer, larger diameter pipe from the genny, 6' back to the rear end, then a large radius 90 degree elbow, and 9' up to clear the roof. I have no problem doing the work, I'm just afraid to hurt the genny. Anyone have experience?
If thats a bad idea, will a Gen-Turi be better? Please justify the answer with facts and data.
Thank you very much.

JC

The GenTuri is just easier, not that pricey and it isn't just pipe. There is a 90 deg bend, which feeds into some type of PVC, is centered in there, so it draws cool air in with hot exhaust, sits out the top, quiet and cool. My Dad and I made one way back, and then he bought the Genturi. The PVC we bought would not take the heat and flopped over.

There's less of a burn hazard with the Genturi, the only piece that gets hot is the 90 degree extension that comes off of the generator tailpipe Everything else runs cool due to drawing in cool air at the bottom of the vertical pipe.

GEN-Turi.
Two options The Gen-Turi is an add on external. runs up the side of the RV works great I have one. Don't have an RV any more but I loved that thing.

I read of an RVer who basically copied the design and installed it.. but for installed I'd recommend a 3-wall solution
Small pipe with air gap inside a larger pipe with air gap inside a larger still pipe

The Gen-Turi.. someone ask how hot it gets in operation... Baring strong direct sunlight which is the reason I once needed to wear gloves to handle it (The generator overheated and quite due to the power of the sun) it gets warm. not hot. I can run the genny for hours and remove the top sections bare handed.. To unhook the metal pipe I need protection (For obvious reasons) but the polycarbonate part (The big pipe) only warm.

Got a Gen-Turi for our first coach and modified this one to use it. Love it and would highly recommend! (Also set up the Aquahot exhaust to use it... It gets used much more often there as that exhaust is very near the window I work at and I like having it open as much as possible.)

The GenTuri is absolutely the design to use, but it's not difficult to make your own if you are handy. It's crucial to avoid creating any back-pressure in the little genset exhaust pipe, and the Gen Turi design does that well. It also keeps the exposed section of riser pipe relatively cool, enough so that plain old PVC is sufficient. Only the elbow needs to be high-temperature.

The "secret" is that the riser tube is larger diameter than the elbow and partially open at the bottom. That allows cooling air to enter and rise along with the exhaust. The large diameter riser pipe overlaps the elbow enough so that hot exhaust is captured and rises, but the extra diameter creates a vent opening at the bottom.

Last edited:
I'll add my praise for the Genturi. It takes less than a minute to set up and couldn't be easier. NO exhaust fumes at ground level, even sitting right next to it.

IMO, it's a must, and should be required, for running your genny in close quarters with other campers. I've been on the receiving end of an inconsiderate genny user at a festival or two - it is NOT fun, and can be very dangerous to those in less sealed accommodations than our rig. Very much worth the small cost.

IMO, it's a must, if and should be required, for running your genny in close quarters with other campers. I've been on the receiving end of an inconsiderate genny user at a festival or two - it is NOT fun, and can be very dangerous to those in less sealed accommodations than our rig. Very much worth the small cost.

I went through that a few years ago. We went to a hot air balloon festival and the rv’s were fairly close. The guy next to us ran his genny in the daytime occasionally. I had my awning out and all the fumes would go under my awning then into our door. We lived with this for one day and had enough. Went to the festival people and complained. They went and said to the guy he has 2 choices. Move or get one of those GenTuri. He was livid and made a few comments to me after the festival people left. I complained again about this and they then told him that any more complaints, he’ll be on his way home. He went out and bought one and his wife came by and apologized for his behavior. The rest of the weekend was perfect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom