Light and Brake Hookups 2005 Wrangler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SVTotem

I have a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited with aftermarket bumper. I will have Blue Ox adapters bolted to the face of this bumper (3/16" steel) inboard of the shackle brackets per Blue Ox.

My question has to do with locating the AFO air-fitting, light cord socket, and breakaway switch. The top surface of the bumper needs to remain clear for a future winch installation. That leaves me the lower edge of the bumper, but I would prefer not to leave them exposed down there.

Anyone off-roading an LJ come up with a more creative solution? I would prefer a more protected and hopefully out of sight location.

Attachments

• IMG_3120a.jpg
    IMG_3120a.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3119a.jpg
    IMG_3119a.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 25
I mounted mine to the outside of the bumper on top. Didn't interfere with the winch and perfect to run the cord back into the cabin.

Ernie

SVTotem said:
I have a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited with aftermarket bumper. I will have Blue Ox adapters bolted to the face of this bumper (3/16" steel) inboard of the shackle brackets per Blue Ox.

My question has to do with locating the AFO air-fitting, light cord socket, and breakaway switch. The top surface of the bumper needs to remain clear for a future winch installation. That leaves me the lower edge of the bumper, but I would prefer not to leave them exposed down there.

Anyone off-roading an LJ come up with a more creative solution? I would prefer a more protected and hopefully out of sight location.

My solution would be to trailer it from the start. My Jeep tires cost way to much and the wear and tear on it add up too. Just my opinion. Goodluck

Thanks Ernie. Got a snapshot of that setup? I might do a temporary install where the winch mounting holes are, then reposition adjacent to the winch when that goes in. That will be a while, though.

Terry, I understand the benefits of the trailer and it is good advice. Many serious off-roaders go that route, and I may end up there at some point. We have been to so many places where finding a place for the trailer would have been a problem that I am reluctant to go that route at this time. If we get to the point where we are going places specifically for trail riding we can find places to stay that can accommodate a trailer. For that matter we have no room at home for a trailer when not being used, so that would mean more storage fees. Maybe down the road.

Wife is off with the Jeep right now so no pic. I just drilled two small holes in the top of the bumper just outside the brush guard and installed an eyebolt in the corresponding location on the rear of theMH. I have an IRV brake.

Ernie

SVTotem said:
Thanks Ernie. Got a snapshot of that setup? I might do a temporary install where the winch mounting holes are, then reposition adjacent to the winch when that goes in. That will be a while, though.

Terry, I understand the benefits of the trailer and it is good advice. Many serious off-roaders go that route, and I may end up there at some point. We have been to so many places where finding a place for the trailer would have been a problem that I am reluctant to go that route at this time. If we get to the point where we are going places specifically for trail riding we can find places to stay that can accommodate a trailer. For that matter we have no room at home for a trailer when not being used, so that would mean more storage fees. Maybe down the road.

Yes, the trailer storage is a issue for many. And some of the parks are not friendly to car trailers (been there done that). Just remember to make sure that your Jeep has a good hitch so you can pull the trailer a little if needed. I have notice that some of the after market rear bumpers have a very low rating for the receiver hitch witch has always puzzled me. Good luck with your Jeep. If you are every in Southern Idaho swing by and I'll show you around. Have a good day.

Thanks Terry. Idaho is just outside our radius of coverage as long as we still need to swing back to Florida to be with Barbara's mom every four to six weeks. We will certainly be getting there since I have an old friend in Sand Point that I have committed to visiting. I have been to Boise a few times to use the aerial ranges west of town and really liked the area and the people.

We finally got the towing equipment installed on Mercedes, our 2005 Wrangler Unlimited. Camping Connection in Kissimmee, FL removed the Air Force One auxiliary braking system from our Honda Pilot along with the Blue Ox baseplate that the towbar connected to. We elected to do this rather than buy a new Air Force One system that would have allowed us to pull either vehicle. These systems are quite expensive, so we decided to reuse the one from the Honda.

Camping Connection then installed the Blue Ox adapters and the Air Force One. Blue Ox produces these adapters for those who wish to fabricate their own baseplates or modify existing third party bumpers to use with the Blue Ox towbars. We chose to do the latter after discussions with Blue Ox technical support. The adapters were mounted inboard of the shackle mounts of the Bestop HighRock bumper on the jeep when purchased. It is a solid 3/16 steel frame mounted bumper built to support winch operations. It is plenty tough enough to act as a towing platform. At this time we had the electrical and air fittings mounted to the lower edge of the bumper. Enough slack was left in all lines to allow these items to be relocated to the top of the bumper once a winch is installed and suitable mounting locations could be determined. For now they are in a more exposed location, but our off-roading will be limited until other modifications such as a suspension lift and winch are installed.

The thirty-mile test tow back to storage proved everything works as well as with the Honda. Next month will provide another checkout as we take the coach to Gaffney, SC for annual maintenance service.

Attachments

• BlueOxAdapters010713 sml.jpg
    BlueOxAdapters010713 sml.jpg
    866.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Aventaa010713sml.jpg
    Aventaa010713sml.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member