Lighted boat parades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This is the time of year when various communities and yacht clubs hold their annual lighted boat parades. We were treated to ours last Saturday. We had some house guests for the weekend and a larger group of invited friends to see the parade. I managed to get a few photos and have attached a couple. My favorite was the Hawaiian theme, complete with an "active" volcano. Overall, the show was not as spectacular as last year, but still enjoyable.

Attachments

• hawaiian.jpg
    hawaiian.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 40
  • sfo.jpg
    sfo.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 37
caltex said:
Maybe it's time to let Chris plan a decoration job and get your boat in the parade!

Chris already announced on Saturday that she wants to do that next year, but I'm hoping she'll forget. I recall the time we were in the Stockton parade on your prior boat. Having the fire boat lead that parade is quite something to see.

Here in Vancouver, BC, the pleasure boats along with the humongous yachts go out nightly, alternating between moving "inland" and under the 2nd Narrows Bridge with moving out in to English Bay under the Lions Gate bridge.  Many of them host choirs whose singing is amplified for those watching from the shore; others are doing a commercial thing hosting Christmas parties; and I think all of them are putting something into the "charity pot."

Doug

DougJ said:
Many of them host choirs whose singing is amplified for those watching from the shore;

That sounds really neat Doug. The best they can do here is play a recording.

We always enjoyed the boat parades when we lived in South FLorida (Boca Raton). There were some really spectacular floats, some with live entertainment, and others were just folks partying their way along. Either way, it was a joy to behold and something we miss now that we live inland.

caltex said:
get a few of your old singing group together and spice things up a little.

I doubt I'd get the barbershop guys to do that, but maybe we could get a different group together. Would you like some singing lessons between now and then?

Hi Guys

You might like to do a google search for "bridgwater carnival" in the UK

It takes places every year approx 20 miles from my home (in fact, they visit many towns including mine but Bridgwater is the historical home).

The Carnival is claimed to be the Worlds Largest Illuminated Carnival Procession and has been in documented existence since 1860 - during the second World War a single man walked the route each year and kept the tradition alive.

It is amazing that nobody knows about the Carnival except for those within 30 miles or so. I lived 100 miles away for my first 30 years and never knew of it.

However, it is probably a good thing that people arent aware because it is a free event and is very very busy every year - they wouldnt cope with too many more people.?

Here are some links (but there are loads on Google, especially Images) :-

http://www.bridgwater-photos.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.asp?id=642
http://www.somersetguyfawkescarnivals.co.uk/

I am looking foward to seeing this type of local event on our forthcoming US and Canada journey.

Regards
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom