Lighter RV's Equals Other Offsets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I recently noticed that my 2007 RV siding is much thicker than the new models of today.  The new models you can probably cut the siding with a serrated butter knife, where as mine you need a actual saw blade of some kind.  It shocked me how paper thin my friends RV siding is, if it got hit by a rock on the side while going down the road it would probably make a hole. 

So my thought is that lighter is not always better.

People seem to be gullible for the ?snake-oil? salesmen of the world. In this case, the lighter, ultra, lightest, featherweights, etc. The cold, hard, heavy to carry facts....unless you can afford an RV manufactured of a titanium alloy, structural integrity is sacrificed for light weight.

Memtb said:
    People seem to be gullible for the ?snake-oil? salesmen of the world. In this case, the lighter, ultra, lightest, featherweights, etc. The cold, hard, heavy to carry facts....unless you can afford an RV manufactured of a titanium alloy, structural integrity is sacrificed for light weight.

+1  so basically many times its better to get a bigger(more powerfull) truck than a lighter RV

Yes, that's just what I was going to say.  The problem is that this type of RV may be the buyer's first foray in the RVing world.  They may already have a truck they really can't afford to replace so their solution is a lighter RV.  This is quite understandable if they have a young family with limited income.  Nevertheless we often have to tell people that the light RV they want to buy is not practical to tow with the truck they have.  We don't want to dash people's dreams but sometimes we do in order to help them spend their hard-earned money in the best way.  We don't want them to buy something their truck can't tow up a hill, much less one of our western mountains.  We've seen too many cases where people buy a heavy trailer and a year later have to trade in their truck because it doesn't have the power needed to pull their RV.  We try to help people avoid that unpleasant situation.

ArdraF

Yeah me and the dealer went round and round when i got mine.  They swore it would be ok but some people told me it was too much.  We went back and forth until i spoke to their owner and also the service manager and they both said it would work.  But ill tell you its a close one number wize with my dodge 1500 and my 5ver...

By the way are we having cake and icecream when ArdraF hits 10000 posts (5 away)  :)

Oh my goodness!  This is post 10,001 and I didn't even realize it.  When I was a kid in grade school my worst grades were for talking too much!  Guess I haven't changed but now I type 'em! ;D ::)

ArdraF

congrats, and thanks moderator for adding that other 0 for me, i didnt want him to get a big head lol  :)  :))

Back
Top Bottom