Lighting at campground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

We have rope lights that we like to put around our awning,  i like to leave them on all night.  Was just wondering if this was an annoying thing to other campers.  I would hate to think my lights were keeping anyone awake at night so thought I would ask you knowledgeable folks.

Personally, I find it annoying. We don't have any room darkening type shades so depending on the angle and intensity of the lighting, it can shine into our windows. I often wonder why people keep them on all night. I don't see a reason for it.

Next time they're lit, walk over to the next site and see how bright they are. You probably won't see them because they'll be behind the little drop curtain next to the roll.

ANNOYING as Hades if I am in a really rural site. As bad as playing the stereo to loud in my opinion. At night I will sit inside (specially during mosquito hours) and watch the night sky. Your lights stop me.
I will probably try and figure a way to annoy you back.

I agree, annoying.
Out of consideration, turn them off when you are done with your outdoor activities.

We had a recent discussion about outside lights and I think the consensus was not to have them on all night and to use common sense related to your location.  First, in more remote areas people like to see stars and the more light there is, the less the likelihood of seeing stars.  As a couple of people mentioned there are "dark sky" areas where night lighting is frowned upon.  Another factor is lights shining in windows when people are trying to sleep.  Personally I'd forget about it because you may like them, but many of your neighbors might find them annoying.  We've been in a couple of places where I would prefer fewer lights.  Think about it this way, most of us live in cities where there are lots of lights and we like to get out and away from that "urban look" when we're camping.

ArdraF

Seems to me its a matter of how much light, how visible to the neighbors, etc. No black & white (pun!) answer to that.  Your neighbors want to do their thing, not yours, and maybe their thing doesn't include pretty lights. 

We've used subdues decorative lighting in sites where neighbors are not close.  More often lying on the ground than hung in the air, though.  People may see lights as they come up on our site, but generally not from neighboring sites.

I added some outdoor lighting to my TT under the awning, but only use it when needed and turn it off before going to bed.  I live in a rural area and like it dark at night at my home too.  I have lots of lighting but only use it when needed, then everything is turned off before I go inside for the night.

aguablanco said:
What is the reasoning behind leaving them on all night?
RichH

When we go out at night, I like to come back and have a little light around so I can get to my door without tripping on something.  I dont see very well in the dark.  But I will not leave them on again overnight unless we are far away from neighbors.  Thanks for your honest comments! 

We bought some cheap motion sensor lights for right outside our door when we travel and need them. They're available on Amazon and are nice because they only turn on when needed and because they're motion activated, you can sometimes catch sites of the wildlife checking out your camp site.

Peggyy said:
When we go out at night, I like to come back and have a little light around so I can get to my door without tripping on something.  I dont see very well in the dark.  But I will not leave them on again overnight unless we are far away from neighbors.  Thanks for your honest comments!

Carry a flashlight.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Seems to me its a matter of how much light, how visible to the neighbors, etc. No black & white (pun!) answer to that.  Your neighbors want to do their thing, not yours, and maybe their thing doesn't include pretty lights. 

We've used subdues decorative lighting in sites where neighbors are not close.  More often lying on the ground than hung in the air, though.  People may see lights as they come up on our site, but generally not from neighboring sites.

It is very black and white. If it might annoy your neighbors DO NOT DO IT!
Simple

very annoying and rude. most people are trying to get away from the city and enjoy the night and stars.

I don't like a lot of outdoor lighting either, but DW does. The bad part about our C is there is the led equivalent of a Kleg lot above the door, and a nicely lit grab handle by the door. They are both on the same switch. I have done a quick search, and found the wiring may be somewhat accessible to be able to split them, and add another switch. I have seen "ground effect" type lighting that was a great balance of having lights and not be annoying. A lot of led kits are dimmable, and that's a help.

We usually stay at campgrounds where there is ample foliage between sites, so much you can barely see the unit next to us. Hubby doesn?t care for side by side camping where units are squished in like sardines. We have really bright LED white strip under our awning up by where it meets the camper. We use them while we are outside in the evening but turn them off when we turn in for the night.

We also use a gazebo and I hang subdued tiki lights around the outside. Sometimes we leave them on all night, sometimes off. Usually it?s because I forgot to turn them off, hubby will intentionally leave them on for security sight purposes. They are quite soft and dimming lights, not intrusive.  I prefer them off because I don?t like much light in my surroundings when I sleep, even through window coverings. If anyone were to ever ask for us to turn them off overnight, I would be happy to oblige. Kindness in both directions is key. Ask nicely, respond nicely. You could always tell your neighbors as you go by to let you know if they are an issue. And to those who may get upset at overnight lights, it helps to be kind when addressing a fellow neighbor even if you aren?t particularly happy at that moment.

We really haven?t had any issues with anyone else?s lights intruding on our enjoyment of camping, so don?t have any complaints there. The noise factor however, is more of importance to me than lighting. We had some very noisy neighbors last trip and that bothers me when people are not considerate of noise. With the foliage, the lights don?t intrude, but noise sure makes it way through.

kdbgoat said:
The bad part about our C is there is the led equivalent of a Kleg lot above the door, and a nicely lit grab handle by the door.

My rig is setup the same way, as are many. I replaced my porch light with a warm LED that looks like the old incandescent bulb, but I still don't leave it on all night.

Some of the porch lights I've seen in campgrounds are way beyond what is necessary and can be irritating from literally a couple hundred feet away or more.

IMO, if you cast light or even glare into your neighbors' space, you're intruding.

All we leave on is our entry light and I changed it to a yellow light so it is not as bright. I have had to shut my blinds at night while sleeping due to light coming in. No one was outside. I my younger days I would have went and un plugged them. ?

Peggyy said:
We have rope lights that we like to put around our awning,  i like to leave them on all night.  Was just wondering if this was an annoying thing to other campers.  I would hate to think my lights were keeping anyone awake at night so thought I would ask you knowledgeable folks.
I think it depends on the campground you?re in. Take a walk around the CG at night and see what your neighbors are doing. You could also meet your neighbors and ask them if it bothers them. If you?re boondocking or dry camping it?s probably not a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom