Lighting your oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sam calderon

Soon you may never have the problem of lighting your oven by getting on your knees
I've just invented a electronic starter just for ovens,
Patten coming soon watch for inexpensive source for lighting your oven approx size will be 4 x 6 inches

Another tip to make lighting your oven easier - some oven controls switch the thermocouple from controlling the pilot gas flow to controlling the main flame gas flow when the knob is advanced past Pilot to a temperature.

This lets gas flow to the pilot without having to hold the knob in. Activate your sparker or pass a match or a lighter across the pilot and it will instantly light and stay lit.

The main flame will come on 10-20 seconds later after the pilot has heated the thermocouple. More than enough time to get your arm out of harm's way.

Another thing I've found helpful is to use one of those BBQ lighters. Don't have to stick your whole arm in the oven to light it.

Another thing I've found helpful is to use one of those BBQ lighters. Don't have to stick your whole arm in the oven to light it.
Yep, that's what I used for years. I had it down to the point where I barely needed to bend over to light the oven. I knew just where to place the flame and I could see the lit pilot reflection on the bottom of the oven. Now I have a small stainless steel mirror attached to the bottom that makes it really easy to tell when the ignitor lights the pilot.

Another tip to make lighting your oven easier - some oven controls switch the thermocouple from controlling the pilot gas flow to controlling the main flame gas flow when the knob is advanced past Pilot to a temperature.

This lets gas flow to the pilot without having to hold the knob in. Activate your sparker or pass a match or a lighter across the pilot and it will instantly light and stay lit.

The main flame will come on 10-20 seconds later after the pilot has heated the thermocouple. More than enough time to get your arm out of harm's way.
Not sure what you are saying here. If I advance the knob past pilot and the thermocouple is not hot there is no gas.

However I use a small butane torch type lighter. The ones for Creme Brule etc. After I light the pilot I focus the flame on the thermocouple tip for like 3 seconds and I can release the pilot knob. Much faster than a match, lighter or BBQ lighter.

Not sure what you are saying here. If I advance the knob past pilot and the thermocouple is not hot there is no gas.

However I use a small butane torch type lighter. The ones for Creme Brule etc. After I light the pilot I focus the flame on the thermocouple tip for like 3 seconds and I can release the pilot knob. Much faster than a match, lighter or BBQ lighter.
Then you don' have one of those ovens. For years Magic Chef and Westwood used an oven controller that had two gas passages inside the control unit. One was controlled by the thermocouple. The other had no protection.

When you rotate the control knob to the pilot position, the thermocouple passage feeds the pilot flame and the thermocouple has to get hot to let gas pass. You can bypass this by pushing in on the control knob. But if you turn the knob past the pilot position to a temperature setting, the thermocouple passage switches to controlling the main flame and the pilot gets continuous gas flow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom