Lights on our toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda Tyger

We had new Falcon II bracket and wiring installed on our 2007 Honda CR-v.  The lights were checked and brake lights and turn signals were fine. We checked for running lights later and found that with motor home lights on the Honda has no lights at all.  No brake lights, no signals, no running lights.  We can't seem to find problem. Any suggestions?

Possible issues are many.  There is a device sold at Camping World and many many many other stores (IE: Wall Mart) which consists of 3 led's in a standard flat tail light connector.  If your rig uses a round connector then U-Haul has the device.  I've got one somewhere which is a pass through (you can leave it in all the time)

Plug this into the towed light socket on your rig,  See if the LED's light up per operation  Last January when I headed west one of them did NOT! (The tail light one) thankfully there was a different solution and I used it

IF the led's all work as per indications... Then the problem is in the towed or in the cable connecting them (Yes, I've had that fail too)  You can check the cable... Simply move the tester to the towed end of the cable,  If the lights do not work as per plan then the problem is in the Motor Home.

If it's in the motor home it is possible the towed lines have their own fuses.  Or not.  Depends on make and model

In my case it was a bad wire under the coachb

If all the lights are not working then it's most likely a missing or bad ground between the MH and the towed.  Try running a ground wire from the MH frame to the towed frame (a jumper cable will work well) and see if that solves the problem.

John,
Those devices are o.k., but don't forget that LED's only draw about 20mA. A bad ground or wire connection can easily pass that and not be able to pass a few amperes required for 'real' lights. A test light made from an automotive bulb is much better IMHO. 

Thank you all for your help. My husband kept saying it seemed like a bad ground.  Because we just had the car wired we focused on it.  When he began to trace wires on the motor home, a 2004 Georgetown we bought new, he found a place where it had been spliced and one of the wires was not "crimped".  He put new wires from that point back to hitch and now we have all lights.  We wonder if our running lights were ever working. We always check the brake lights and turn signals before we hit the road but since we rarely if ever drove at night can't help wondering if they were working with motor home lights on.  We have a back up camera but you don't have a good view of lights on it.  I suggest that everyone check running lights, at night when you can really see if they are on.  Thanks again.

Karl said:
John,
Those devices are o.k., but don't forget that LED's only draw about 20mA. A bad ground or wire connection can easily pass that and not be able to pass a few amperes required for 'real' lights. A test light made from an automotive bulb is much better IMHO. 

That is why I like my pass through type,  It lets me plug in the towed and see for sure, under normal load

Back
Top Bottom