Living in a 5th wheel full time in Canada!! in winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend and I lived in our trailer & fifth wheel one winter in Montana.My trailer was only 24 ft.& had double pane windows.We stayed in a mobile home park & heated with electric.The trailer was boxed in with rigid Styrofoam,heater under the trailer(never used),heat taped and insulated a rigid plastic water line and sewer line & foam in the vents.I was working in Butte(very cold sometimes -20)and my wife stayed with me(no slides very cozy).We were pretty comfortable as long as you did not lean on the walls.We even had a built in thermometer.You could tell how cold it was by how high the frost went up the door.I was working many hours a week so the size of the trailer was not an issue.All in all we would say that it was a good experience but that was when electricity was cheap ,15 yrs ago.Now that we have a 30 footer with three slides it maybe not as easy to do.

nash0098 said:
I am long haul driver and used to be living on the road. This year I planning to ditch my apartment and living in my Flagstaff 8524RLS 5th wheel full time when I am at home (since I am only in town a week out of the month, renting is a waste). So far so good living in my RV, it's summer and it's nice and the beer is flowing. Come this winter in northern Canada where temperature can drop below -30F every day, I am not sure. Heating is my biggest concern, how often do I have replace propane tanks at that temperature? Can I keep my RV comfortable at 70F (I like it hot  :)) As far as pipes and sewage is concern, I'll be using portable toilets and water since I am away 3 weeks at a time and don't want to deal with frozen tanks. Anybody thinks I am crazy living in RV at -30 in Canada, any brave souls have any experience and want to offer me some tips other than go south young man  ;D

I lived in my fifth wheel in BC in 2007 we had -26 C I had a Fleetwood 2000 year built Avian well insulated unit. The only problem I had freezing waterline even I had a heat rap installed on my fresh water line outside. I could heat my unit up to comfortable level with one heater and the furnace kicking in every 15-20 minutes or so. My propane bill was about 150 a month (went 24/7). They do not make trailers like that anymore! I traded in for a new one made by Dynamax it would freeze in -5 C they have no insulation in the underbelly (heated tanks that's all) and the heat just goes right out(although it is very fancy looking inside) .  Arctic insulation is a must, if you willing to live in your trailer, skirting at around with insulation and put a heater underneath will help some. 
Happy camping

Attachments

• Lot 205 Pics 002.jpg
    Lot 205 Pics 002.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 16
My husband spent about 50% of his time last winter in our RV, which is parked on our property in Brighton, Ontario.  The Ontario-Quebec-Maritimes winter was BRUTAL last year. 

He skirted the 5ver with plywood, turned off the water, brought in the drinking water - and USED the toilet.  He flushed with anti-freeze, and had the port-a-potty folks come in for cleanout a few times over the winter (not sure how often..)

He dressed warmly, used a space heater - not the tanks - and he was fine.  As a caveat however, he was pretty much only in the trailer to sleep, as he was working onsite in a heated shop most of the time.

Hi coal: thanks for your helpful posts on this forum. I am interested in living in an RV outside of an RV park, in Ontario. Having trouble finding a municipality where this is allowed. I noticed that you live across the road from an RV park, so wonder if your municipality allows living in an RV on your own property (ie, not in an RV park)? Thanks for any help you can provide.

The boiling point of propane is around -42. Approaching that temp the vapor pressure gets very low. You would need to install an electric tank heater.  I just think your plan doesn't make sense.

themaddnutritionist said:
Hi!
I'm new on the forums but happened upon your post by chance. We are looking at becoming full time RV'ers and full time WINTERING in Alberta and Saskatchewan territory. So far everything I found was with people with great big RVs and fancy pants 40k rigs - we're looking at winne's and vanguards in the 80s-90s, so your post seems like you know exactly what we might be coming up against. Any tips for immediate things to modify on an old motorhome for our harsh winters before we hit the road forever??

Hi There,
Just wondering if you went ahead with the Full Time in AB and SK?  We are in BC but will be heading back to AB in March.  We used to have a Vanguard, but now have an Okanagan. How did you make out? 

Attachments

• Okanagan Eclipse Full Time for Forum.jpg
    Okanagan Eclipse Full Time for Forum.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 17
This comes up frequently, and it can be done.  My Grandpa and Grandma lived in an Airstream in the 50's, 60's and early 70's in Mpls Mn. Temps in the winter could get -20 to -30.  This was their year around home.  Todays units are better insulated than their's was I'm sure.  Atleast the windows are better than their louvered windows.

My son lives in Grand Marais Mn about 20 miles south of the Canadian border and he has friends living in yurts.  These are nothing more than canvas tents. 

It can be done, but I'm not one that's going to try it.

kjansen said:
This comes up frequently, and it can be done.  My Grandpa and Grandma lived in an Airstream in the 50's, 60's and early 70's in Mpls Mn. Temps in the winter could get -20 to -30.  This was their year around home.  Todays units are better insulated than their's was I'm sure.  Atleast the windows are better than their louvered windows.

My son lives in Grand Marais Mn about 20 miles south of the Canadian border and he has friends living in yurts.  These are nothing more than canvas tents. 

It can be done, but I'm not one that's going to try it.

Hi there ,
Great reading your post.  There are so many that say it can't be done in the cold, and I think back to those wagon trains heading west and not quite out of the cold nasty weather yet.  How did they ever do it?  Not suggesting we are in wagon train structures, but I've seen all types of RV's up north with all kinds of skirting, porches and what not.  They just make it work!

Attachments

• Winter Porch on Montana-1.jpg
    Winter Porch on Montana-1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Slides with Foam for Winter-1.jpg
    Slides with Foam for Winter-1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 38
johnandcarol said:
The boiling point of propane is around -42. Approaching that temp the vapor pressure gets very low. You would need to install an electric tank heater.  I just think your plan doesn't make sense.
Just enclose your tank with aluminum insulation and a heat tape wrapped around the line and tank. If it get's to -35, plug it in and all will be well.

Hinterland said:
Hi There,
Just wondering if you went ahead with the Full Time in AB and SK?  We are in BC but will be heading back to AB in March.  We used to have a Vanguard, but now have an Okanagan. How did you make out?
Still at it.... I have become quite fond of poly covered windows, and ( if you can handle the lack of light) foil insulation.
Although after five years in the old girl I must admit I am watching the dual pane/insulated diesel pushers like a hawk right now! $40/barrel oil does tend to have a rather sobering affect for those with financed toys.

So much enjoyed your posting, almost could picture it in our mind.  Sounds like bliss!  What brand of fifth wheel did you live in?

crazywomanranch said:
I don't think you're crazy Nash0098, I've been living in a 34' fifth wheel for 8 years, in interior Alaska.  I bought 20 acres and parked the fifth wheel, intending to build a cabin but haven't got that far yet.  Yup, it's a challenge.  Seems only time problems arise is in the winter. Recently lost power to all of one side, 12V and 110 both.  Turned out to be a low voltage issue.  It killed the circuit board on the water heater needed for running it on propane,  but after replacing the electric element in it; draining it was a treat at 9 degrees outside temp,  and repairing the low voltage issue, it's all good.  Will deal with the WH brain next summer.  I installed a toyo heater, don't use the propane furnace at all, in fact never. Stays a comfy 70 degrees inside even when it's -40 outside.  I have clear plastic window covering both inside and out, insulated curtains, 6 inches of insul board behind t1-11 skirting, 500 gallon freestanding, insulated and heat taped water tank, pump and pressure tank stowed in the"basement" compartment that is plumbed into the on board system. Have done a LOT of other, what I like to call upgrades, added insulation, etc.,  don't see the point of the cabin anymore and have moved on to the barn instead for the horses.  Love the "tiny house" concept and the lack of additional property taxes for a structure.

Hi There,
Just chiming in to say, yes it can be done, and yes, dozens of people do it.  In British Columbia and In Alberta, as well as Ontario.
It takes a well built unit to start with, and dual pane windows are a must.  Heated basement, with enclosed tanks and gate valves, skirting and aux heaters.
We are quite comfortable with our Okanagan Eclipse 5th Wheel.  We have neighbours in our park, around 30 of them with all types of RV and the other 2 parks in town are also full.  Minus 13 some nights, that is in Celsius.  Up in Grande Prairie and Fort McMurray Alberta, they are living all winter in Citation Supremes, Corsair Excella and Travel Supreme.  Even saw some Heartland, Arctic Fox and Cedar Creek.  I say go for it, but do your homework, and you will be fine.  There is so much info on the web about this, and tips for heat underneath, and managing condensation inside the unit.

SeilerBird said:
It seems like every year there is a post similar to this one where someone is asking if they can live in an RV during the winter way up north with minus 0 temps every day. The replies are always a resounding no. But it seems like every time the OP declares he is going to do it any way. But they never return here in February to let us know just how comfortable they are. I am hoping the OP will let us know how he is doing next year so we can learn if it really is possible to survive in an RV in winter up north.

Many boomers in my trade who came to Chicago to work out of our hall stayed the winter in their campers in campgrounds out in the boonies, Will County and such; evidently they did just fine. Some put light stringers under their campers for heat and then skirted the bottoms.

Of course people who work outside in the winter are somewhat inured to discomfort.

It is Doable.

I was parked beside a guy in PEI this summer that was from northern Ontario. He is a full timer.  He said at neg 38 he and his wife were absolutely comfy and said the Mobile Suite unit he had could handle much colder temps.

He said the tough part was finding a camp ground that would allow him to stay all year.

Not my idea of fun.

SeilerBird said:
It seems like every year there is a post similar to this one where someone is asking if they can live in an RV during the winter way up north with minus 0 temps every day. The replies are always a resounding no. But it seems like every time the OP declares he is going to do it any way. But they never return here in February to let us know just how comfortable they are. I am hoping the OP will let us know how he is doing next year so we can learn if it really is possible to survive in an RV in winter up north.
I'm not the op but I successfully stayed in upstate NY full timing since May of 2019.
I hooked up an outside furnace ( forced hot air) to my 2002 Fleetwood mallard fifth wheel.
Have a 10" duct from the plenum that runs to ground level, then reduced to 8" and runs through a 12" culvert pipe under ground till it comes up under my slide out. All duct work is metal and then ran inside of insulated flex duct.
The duct comes into the camper under the bench seat in the dinette .
Had enough heat to have to open windows anytime it was above 32 degrees outside.
Last winter was pretty mild but did drop below zero and we were able to maintain 75 degrees inside with wood heat alone.
Its not impossible and with our setup its actually quite comfortable.

The furnace also heats a 14*75 mobile home on the same property . went through about 35-40 face cords last year.

Until you are ready to travel in your RV full time, you would be better off to trade it in for a "park model." This is a sort of small trailer that is meant to stay in one place. They are much better insulated and better set up for cold weather.

Even if you tuirned your heat down while you were away, I would worry about leaving a furnace on in case it would go out and pipes would freeze, etc. Just does not seem safe.

My bil tried living out of his camper in Ft McMurray one winter as rental accomodation was non existent, said running out of propane at 3 am got old real fast. If you are determined go ahead and let us know how it works out.

My bil tried living out of his camper in Ft McMurray one winter as rental accomodation was non existent, said running out of propane at 3 am got old real fast. If you are determined go ahead and let us know how it works out.
This thread is 6 yrs old lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom