Living in an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is good info...but I dread doing that daily. It will have to be me or our son though, hubby is disabled. We dump into the house septic but have a separate sewer line hook-up that runs several feet before it goes into the tank. Does that make any difference? 🤞
Not really... And it's not that hard just open the valve, wait a bit, close it, Leave the hose connected unless, as I said, it's freezing or there is another reason.. in some cases you can use sewer hose support or even s 4" gutter (eves trouth or 6" PVC pipe cut to length to maintain a smooth "slope" to the ground inlet and then you don't even have to walk the hose in cold weather. It is not that hard to do save for the need to bend over to pull the valve. .

That's what I was afraid you'd say! ;) We do have numerous sewer hose supports and it's a pretty good slope from the unit hook-up to the sewer hook-up...it's about a 6-7' run. We're in Northern Virginia and get 2 or 3 snows a year with temps dipping into the teens on occasion. Hopefully by the time it gets really cold we'll be prepared and settled in a routine. Thank you.

I don't think septics are as vulnerable to volume dumping as internet wisdom would have you believe, but it's still wise to dump smaller quantities more often. When full, the combined black & gray contents could be 100 gallons and that is a lot to pour into a septic at one shot unless the septic is a big one, say 2000 gallons or more.

I don't think septics are as vulnerable to volume dumping as internet wisdom would have you believe, but it's still wise to dump smaller quantities more often. When full, the combined black & gray contents could be 100 gallons and that is a lot to pour into a septic at one shot unless the septic is a big one, say 2000 gallons or more.
Appreciate the input...I'll think we'll go with the 'smaller quantities more often' method. However...I've also read that the black water tank should be at least 2/3 full or solids could build up. Lot to learn. :)

btw - the Ocala has been our home since 1971. Hubby spent his entire Forest Service career there, our children grew up there and we still maintain the home we purchased in 1978.

Appreciate the input...I'll think we'll go with the 'smaller quantities more often' method. However...I've also read that the black water tank should be at least 2/3 full or solids could build up. Lot to learn.

Definitely, and glad you've come across that necessity. So if you did get in the habit of dumping tanks daily because of the septic system, you'd likely want to add/flush some extra water more often. That would both help with the bacterial breakdown in the black tank, as well provide additional water-based back pressure to make sure all the solids get flushed out.

I purchased and used the Sidewinder on my trip to Myrtle Beach and it is a must-have support item for the RV. You definitely want to maintain the flow in your sewer hose, no sagging or low spots. It takes up minimal space when stored and extends as needed. Keeps your hands clean, and it really locks the scent inside. No messy, No scent. Hands down the best system we have found yet, at a price that's affordable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased and used the Sidewinder on my trip to Myrtle Beach and it is a must-have support item for the RV. You definitely want to maintain the flow in your sewer hose, no sagging or low spots. It takes up minimal space when stored and extends as needed. Keeps your hands clean, and it really locks the scent inside. No messy, No scent. Hands down the best system we have found yet, at a price that's affordable.
I appreciate the reply. Good info is always welcome, lol. Thank you. :) We stay hooked up to the septic system with valves closed. I dump every few days or so, definitely not daily. I would prefer to just leave all the valves open since we live there and use water accordingly. It's about a ten foot hose run to the septic hookup and then about another 10' of underground pipe before dumping into the septic tank. I don't know if that's enough distance to eliminate a sewer gas issue, or if distance even matters.

I appreciate the reply. Good info is always welcome, lol. Thank you. :) We stay hooked up to the septic system with valves closed. I dump every few days or so, definitely not daily. I would prefer to just leave all the valves open since we live there and use water accordingly. It's about a ten foot hose run to the septic hookup and then about another 10' of underground pipe before dumping into the septic tank. I don't know if that's enough distance to eliminate a sewer gas issue, or if distance even matters.
Do not leave the black tank valve open all the time. You will end up with the dreaded pyramid poop pile in the black tank.

I left the grey valve open and the black valve closed when living stationary.

Unfortunately I was dumb and was putting coffee grounds down the grey pipe. I ended up with a coffee ground "poop" pile. When I unhooked, went to Arizona and lived on the grey tank closed for a while I ended up flushing the coffee pile into the valve and getting a big clog the first time I drained.

I had to disconnect the grey valve and ended up taking a grey water bath when I finally got it unhooked.

Word to the wise - don't put any solids into the grey tank - LOL...

I left the grey valve open and the black valve closed when living stationary.

Unfortunately I was dumb and was putting coffee grounds down the grey pipe. I ended up with a coffee ground "poop" pile. When I unhooked, went to Arizona and lived on the grey tank closed for a while I ended up flushing the coffee pile into the valve and getting a big clog the first time I drained.

I had to disconnect the grey valve and ended up taking a grey water bath when I finally got it unhooked.

Word to the wise - don't put any solids into the grey tank - LOL...
I've cleared a number of dump valve clogs for other folks over the years. My method uses one of the drain caps with a small garden hose fitting on it. With a pan or bucket under the drain, I wrap a rag around my "snake" that's usually a bent wire hanger and insert it through the small opening using the rag as a seal. Once the clog is broken up and the valve is closed, there's only a small amount of material to drain into the pan before the 3" sewer hose is reconnected and the tank is drained normally.

Yeah - Hindsight. We were 1 step away from "real" boondocking with limited options and 60 miles+ from any shopping or civilization. The grey tank had actually already backed up into the shower when I went to dump it due to not paying too close attention to consumption.

I did try to snake a wire into the disconnected grey system (without your cap idea) but I couldn't break up the clog.

Yeah - Hindsight. We were 1 step away from "real" boondocking with limited options and 60 miles+ from any shopping or civilization. The grey tank had actually already backed up into the shower when I went to dump it due to not paying too close attention to consumption.

I did try to snake a wire into the disconnected grey system (without your cap idea) but I couldn't break up the clog.
For one black tank clog, I fished a 3/8" hose in past the valve to drain enough liquid to allow a back flush that cleared the rest of the clog.

Working from the exit end of the black tank doesn't sound like much fun and a high risk location!
That's why I worked through the small garden hose fitting on the cap instead of the full 3" opening. A rag wrapped around the small hose or snake as a seal minimizes the spillage. I never got anything wet except my disposable gloves. And I was well rewarded to boot... ;)

I think dumping every couple of days is too often. With the two of us, I dump once a week. Each Monday. Need lots of water in the black tank to flush well.

Don't assume that all septic tanks are dual chambered,, many or most, if at or under 1000 gallons are single chambered and you have to be more cautious.. The more important thing is to "educate" the new depositor to the facts of septic life.. Not putting certain things in the system is important.>>>Dan

Last edited:
Don't assume that all septic tanks are dual chambered,, many or most, if at or under 1000 gallons are single chambered and you have to be more cautious..>>>Dan
When we were having a new 1,000 gallon concrete septic tank and 1,500 gallon dry well installed at our upstate NY cottage and RV site, I asked the company engineer about handling the inrush from dumping the RV waste tanks. He said they would install a dual chambered tank that would handle a 100 gallon single inrush per day plus the normal cottage usage. That was in 2005, and we haven't had any problems to date.

Back
Top Bottom