Living on the road, bought a 5 th wheel and truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wfwilson

Hello all. I travel for my job and don't get home very often. I have been doing this for several years. A week ago yesterday I went to look at a good used truck in Arkansas. After speaking with a very nice lady I found out her husband had recently passed and she had a 5 th wheel camper for sale as well.

She gave me a fantastic package price so now I am the proud owner of a 98 damon challenger in great shape and a 97 ford f 350 dually with the 7.3. ($9000 for both).

I have already towed it over a thousand miles and had no real problems. I will admit I read a lot on this forum that so far has helped me avoid many of the pitfalls that newbies encounter.

As I get to know my new home away from home I'm sure I will have questions. But I can say that for the first time in at least 2 years my suitcase is unpacked and I haven't had a meal handed to me tru a window. I will post more later about my first week and my maiden voyage thru a named winter storm as well as the places I have stayed and even one I refused to stay at.

I'm going to bed in my bed....

Peace

Sounds like quite an improvement in your living conditions.  I'll be anxious to hear "the rest of the story" so far.

I bought the truck and camper in Bentonville Arkansas. On Wednesday 2/20/13. 

Problem 1. Moving that much cash when you are not close to your bank is next to impossible. My solution was a wire transfer .

Problem 2. Winter storm Hugh.  I had to get to Nacogdoches Texas as soon as possible. We had about a 2 hour window so I decided to go. It was snowing heavily when we left Bentonville and as we headed west and south it only got worse. At one point there was 6 inches of packed snow and ice on the road.  Slow and easy did it. What should have been about 6 hours turned into 12 but we got past the weather and pulled into the Red Barn rv park just past midnight.  Things that I will add to the truck are a good set of chains.

Now I know that I was on the very edge of the line as far as safety.  I do need to say that I have a CDL and have driven a big truck over the road and regularly haul 10k plus loads with my other one tons. I drive about 75k miles a year . This was not my first time towing something that big in bad weather. I do not recommend any one try this. I should have pulled over or delayed my start. By the time I did decided to pull over there was no place to do do safely.

Time for breakfast. Will post more later. A trip to Walmart is in my future...

Congratulations on your new home! It sounds so much more comfy! Glad you made it safely through the storm.

-Trevor & Roni

What fire and paramedics and law enforcement use are Super Z6 or Super Z8 on cars and Super Z LT on trucks.

On your trailer you want Super Z8......they are made for vehicles with the narrowest clearance in the wheel wells....  http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction-product-choices/super-z8/

I can tell you from experience, these cables really are easy to put on.  Pricey but they should last you as long as you own the truck and trailer.

Back
Top Bottom