Living Room Make Over for $14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

My exit plan from full time traveling ended up being the purchase of an RV lot and later the purchase of a used 1992 5th wheel. My motorhome was sold less than 48 hours after the ad went out.

My 5th wheel RV came with a woefully underfurnished living area. The prior owners had stripped it for the owner's hospice room.

I was left with one piece of furniture;  a jumbo leather couch that has two hidden recliner chairs at either end. They are super comfy and recline to several positions including flat for sleeping.

From my old motorhome, I had moved over some mirrors, my hats, hooks, baskets and eclectic art work.  When one of my neighbor's passed away, her caretaker gave me a small square delightful oil painting and double basket I was fond of. I had one small mermaid throw pillow.

A year later, I have completed my living area. My total cash spent comes to $14.

$4 Two big throw pillows (Thrift shop)

$10 Rattan Swivel Rocking Chair (Thrift shop)

$23 Amazon Warehouse Discounted Chair Cushion (Free, using amazon points)

$55 Hourglass Table  (Free, using amazon points)

$0 Round Table (Free for the asking, neighbor was throwing out)

$34 Table top 30 inch (Free, using amazon points)

$18 Mosaic Table Cover (Free using amazon points)

Total Cash Cost $14

The large round dining table I was given, originally came with a drop leaf table top that proved to be too big for my intended use as a side table and sometimes desk. From Amazon I was able to order a smaller 30" round table top. The oak drop leaf table top was removed. It is now used outdoors on top of an old small camping table as a base. Rather than refinish the new table top, I chose to install a vinyl faux mosaic cover. Everyone that sees the table remarks on the beauty and no one realizes it's not real until inspecting it closely.

While the windows came with huge overpowering window valances, I removed them all, preferring the extra  natural light their removal afforded.

The hourglass table is very handy as a TV tray for dining alone. It's easily moved around to where ever it it handiest. The tiny night light  lamp sitting on it came with the original RV equipment when it was new.

A load of patience, several visits to assorted thrift shops and finally I can say "my living area seems complete, cozy and comfortable."

The amazon points used to pay for the orders were earned by using my amazon credit card to pay for utilities, RV park owner dues, food, insurance and supplies.

The rest required an outlay of $14 in cash.

I am pleased with the end result.

Attachments

• BEFORE-1.JPG
    BEFORE-1.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 118
  • BEFORE-2.JPG
    BEFORE-2.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 119
  • FINISHED.JPG
    FINISHED.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 128
;D  You did a lovely job with very little cash outlay!  It looks very inviting and comfortable.  Well done

Thank you!

I forgot to mention that the gallery wall is not finished, but I add things as I find them.

Alot of things from my motorhome were thrown in the shed and well I haven't gone through all of it yet.  8)

DearMissMermaid said:
A year later, I have completed my living area. My total cash spent comes to $14.

$4 Two big throw pillows (Thrift shop)

$10 Rattan Swivel Rocking Chair (Thrift shop)

$23 Amazon Warehouse Discounted Chair Cushion (Free, using amazon points)

$55 Hourglass Table  (Free, using amazon points)

$0 Round Table (Free for the asking, neighbor was throwing out)

$34 Table top 30 inch (Free, using amazon points)

$18 Mosaic Table Cover (Free using amazon points)

Total Cash Cost $14

Are you sure of your numbers. I came up with $144.00

Rene T said:
Are you sure of your numbers. I came up with $144.00

I think you missed the last part of each line "Free with amazon points"

Now the money spent to get those points is another matter...LOL

Gizmo100 said:
I think you missed the last part of each line "Free with amazon points"

Now the money spent to get those points is another matter...LOL

I did miss that. What are Amazon points?

Rene T said:
I did miss that. What are Amazon points?

I Don't know?? I look on Amazon but didn't find anything.

DearMissMermaid....Please tell us about the amazon points.

This looks great! My wife says she is envious of the great deals you got.

I bought a fifth wheel about the same time Miss Mermaid did. Mine is 20 years old and the living room needed a makeover. I think that I spent more on the living room make over than the total price of the RV.  ;D

SeilerBird said:
I think that I spent more on the living room make over than the total price of the RV.  ;D
?.

Yeah, but you decorated with new musical instruments. ;D

Chase offers up an Amazon credit card that you can use anywhere VISA is accepted.

On every purchase you earn between 1 and 5% points.

You can spend the points every month at Amazon or save them up.

Back
Top Bottom