Location of WH Bypass lever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

My documentation (Owners Manual) for my '97 Bounder says that it is equipped with a water heater bypass lever.  The manual shows a picture (drawing) of the lever and describes it's use and purpose.  The only thing missing is where this thing is located.  I can't find it anywhere. 

I can't even find an access panel to allow me to see where the water comes into or leaves the heater.

Can any of you Bounder owners confirm the existence of this lever and locate it for me.

Thanks in advance, lou

Lou,

I have a '96 Bounder and the bypass valve is located in the small bay along with the water pump. It's NOT in the heater compartment, which is accessible by turning two large wingnuts (small compartment; about 1 1/2' wide by 1' tall; louvered).

Thanks Karl,? I don't know how similar our Bounders are in this respect.

My water pump is on the drivers side of the RV, in the City water and dump station bay.

The water heater is on the curb side and slightly foreward.? I can't trace the pipes between the two and don't find anything looking like a bypass valve.? I'll check again tomorrow.

Couldn't sleep 'till I found it.  It was (is) located under the kitchen sink. 

Things were packed so tight under there that I missed it.    In fact, I'm not sure I even looked there 'cause it didn't make sense for it to be there anyway.

Now, finding it begs another question.

The valve is a "T", so it doesn't just shut off the flow to the heater, it diverts the water somewhere else.  Where? 
If it connects to the hot side of the heater, is there a backflow valve somewhere to prevent water from flowing back into the tank?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I add the "pink stuff".

The bypass diverts the inlet water directly to the outlet connection, thus "bypassing" the hot water heater.  The HWH is then completely out of the system and can be drained.

I guess my last question was, "what keeps the water from flowing from the output back into the water heater when I turn the pump back on?"? ? There must be a backflow valve somewhere.? I was able to get "pink Stuff" to flow from both hot and cold taps when the "bypass" valve is thrown and the plug was still removed from the heater tank drain.? I guess I don't really need to know the answer since it worked the way I hoped it would.? ?lou

Kirk said:
Change that statement to, "The water heater is then out of the system and must be drained.

If that was the intent of using the bypass valve, but it would be a normal subsequent action :)  However, it doesn't have to be drained, but it won't drain well unless you bypass it.

Which model bonder do you have? I have a 97' 36S and the heater bypass is in the dump station bin just inside on the left. Mine has a blue handle. Be sure to drain the hot water tank too.

Back
Top Bottom