Locked gas cap--no key

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Walters

HELP!  Anybody know how to get off a locking gas cap if you have no key?  I've had the MH for a few weeks, but have not needed to fill up because I have not taken a trip yet.  But now I need to fill it up and realized last night that it has a locking gas cap and I didn't get a key to that when I bought it, although I got a keyring full of keys to everything else.  The previous owner said it should have been on the keyring, but it's not.  How can I get this cap off and put a regular cap back on it? 

Dan

Locksmith. 

I would hate to trying drill out a  cap over a fuel tank.  Forcing the cap will likely damage the tank inlet.

Check your tow insurance for locksmith service.  You are probably not the first folks to lock themselves out of a gas tank.  A locksmith working for a tow service or AAA is more than likely to have encountered the problem and the cure before.

I would do as Carl suggests, which is to call a locksmith.  If the locking cap was installed by the MH manufacturer, consider calling the manufacturer's customer service..they may have a suggestion, but ultimately it would seem a locksmith is your best bet.  If the locksmith does not have a master key, he can pick the lock..might cost you $25 to $50 but if you use a method that would break the inlet or drop debris into the tank, the repairs might be more costly.

Carl and Steve,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I took your advice and drove the MH to a locksmith that was just down the street from my house.  He was able to make a key for it on the spot for $15.  That was probably the cheapest and best solution for that problem.  Thanks again for the advice.

Dan

For $15, I might just visit your locksmith, get one of those keys and come over and siphon your gas ;D ;D :D ;)

That would be pretty cheap gas, allright.? Now that I've got the cap off, it's going to cost a LOT more than that to fill the tank back up. :eek:

it's going to cost a LOT more than that to fill the tank back up.

Isn't that the truth!  Here in Eastern Canada, gas prices jumped 40 cents a gallon overnight{ that's forty..four  zero} from Thursday to Friday for the long weekend of Canada Day and the Fourth of July..to welcome our wealthy Southern Neighbors ;D

Back
Top Bottom