Locking up my generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Or-pingman

I was wondering if anyone has a good way to secure a Honda 2000 "suitcase style" generator so I can leave it outside and not worry to much about me $1000 generator?? Anything would be great.  I have a 27ft travel tailer.

Or-pingman,

I bought one of the cables with a lock - like you would use to lock a bicycle.

I have faith in the honesty of my fellow campers, but my 1000i would be just too easy to pick up & walk off with.  The cable around the stablizer or whatever wouldn't stop a determined thief, but I think it would avoid tempting an honest man.

I have to agree with Joel that any form of lock will not prevent a determined thief from stealing the generator. Joel's suggestion of a cable is a good one. If you need something longer than the standard bicycle cable locks, you can make your own (or have them made) at hardware stores. I make my own up at a marine hardware store that has the necessary crimper for customer use. You can choose between bare stainless steel cable or one that's covered with plastic.

I own 3 portable generators... A Genrac 1000, and a Noklta(Spelling) 3700 watt both of which grew legs and walked away all by themselves (Well, perhaps a bit of help from the theives may they earn their eternal reward) and a new MegaPulse 1.8KW which is currently sitting on the hitch hauler next to my portable air compressor.

Both of these have a lovely 15' 3/8 (I think) inch (might be 1/2) Aircraft steel cable looped through firmly attached parts.. .This cable then loops around the hitch hauler and one of teh metal  beams on the motor home that the hitch itself is attached to... Somehow.. I suspect when I wake up in the morning... They are going to be very close to where I leave them at bedtime.

Why carry the portabl on the MH... Well... It runs all night on what the Onan burns per hour (at half load in both cases) and the exhaust is in a place where blow back into the motor home is not likely.. THe batteries on the MH are not enough for all night w/o help when running the furnance, frontend electronics and the like... (Of course I can kill the sat stuff at night if I have to)

Or-pingman said:
I was wondering if anyone has a good way to secure a Honda 2000 "suitcase style" generator so I can leave it outside and not worry to much about me $1000 generator?? Anything would be great.? I have a 27ft travel tailer.

Travel trailer?  No problemos.  Go to a good hardware store and buy about 4-5 feet of case hardened 3/8" chain and a beefy keyed padlock with a hardened shackle to match.    Loop the chain around the A-frame of the trailer and thru a handgrip or frame member of the generator.    That will make the thing tough enough to discourage amateurs and the pros are going to look for something easier.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas.? I had thought of the 3/4 inch chain but not the cable.? Has anyone had the cable cut?? It would be tough to cut the chain.

I'd think that the chain is easy pickings for a heavy duty bolt cutter.

>>Thanks to everyone for the ideas.  I had thought of the 3/4 inch chain but not the cable.  Has anyone had the cable cut?  It would be tough to cut the chain.<<

A friend of mine that manages an Ace Hardware store had two guys come into the store and buy a couple of cans of auto A/C refrigerants, which they then used to freeze the cable on his expensive motor scooter and then just whacked it with a board, snapping it in two. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the cable.

Woody

Tom said:
I'd think that the chain is easy pickings for a heavy duty bolt cutter.

Not really.  I specified case hardened chain.  Like the case hardened shackles on an big padlock that stuff is hard to cut with a bolt cutter. 

Understand that anything can be cut by something.  All you try to do is make your stuff harder to get than the next guy's by making it cumbersome to cut away. 

I'll try my bolt cutter out on your chain then  ;D

One thing that really amazes me, however, is how little walks away at campgrounds.  I had the same experience at marinas when I was an active boater. 

With the increased use of carbon fiber in race cars, the larger race tracks like Road America had to retrofit their "Jaws of Life" (tm) with special cutters. The original hardened steel blades just couldn't cut thru the stuff; it's amazingly strong. Maybe someone will fabricate chain and/or locks from it in the near future. In the meantime, a 1/4" 7-35 aircraft cable attached with a lock attached so the shackle is inaccessible to bolt cutters should do the job. 

Carl Lundquist said:
Understand that anything can be cut by something.? ? ?

Yup.  Like I am fond of saying..."If someone made it, someone else can unmake it!".  Given enough time and resources and money.  And you're exactly right Carl, you objective is to make it as tough as possible, so that the bad guy will walk away from yours.

Back
Top Bottom