Long time for power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davencjkan

I have an Onan NHE 6500 Emerald III.  It works fine, even though it is very old.  My question is:  it starts right up, runs fine, but doesn't release any electric for approximately 5 minutes;  is this normal?  Other than that it is a great generator!!  Thanks for your help. :-[

I think you will find the delay a function of the ATS, (Automatic Transfer Switch).... And yes, a delay is normal to allow the generator time to warm up slightly, spin up and thus provide the correct voltage and frequency.

How much of a delay??  As I said, the ATS may determine that and it may vary or even be somewhat adjustable depending on the make and model of ATS

The typical delay for a transfer switch is about 15-30 seconds.  However, a power protector, like the Progressive Industries models, have a 136 secs. delay to prevent starting an air conditioner too soon after stopping.  On the PI, it's switchable to 15 secs. if desired.

I will join the chorus here, The onan is making power by the time you release the start button. IF it was not then it would shut down, The Cokes are experts on that fact (Thankfully they were parked next to the only 30 amp outlets on the desert at the time so they got power, at least part time, despite the failure)

Thus it MUST be one of two things

1: (And this is the prime suspect) The ats delay circuit is very much in need of re-adjustment or..

2: And this is a very distant second,  Loose screw.

[quote author=John From Detroit]
...... it MUST be one of two things
[/quote]

John, I'm a little disappointed, usually you can offer at least THREE possibilities. ;) :D

FWIW, our shore power says it delays 2 minutes 46 seconds, according to the manual. Same delay with generator. Think it is the electrical management system.

My Surge Guard ATS/power monitor has a built in 30 second transfer delay, which is intended to allow the generator time to stabilize its RPMs. Then my particular model has "Option F", which is an additional delay (60 seconds?) for the a/c. Dumb in my case, since the a/c itself has a built-in restart delay.

Thank you all for your responses - Lou, the 5 minute delay prob isn't very accurate - more like 2 or 2.5 minutes would be more accurate.  I believe that my delay is not a prob and am going to just go with it.  We replaced the circuit board about 2 years ago and have rebuilt the carb and it now starts right up.  Guess I should thank my lucky stars with this old a generator. 
Again, thanks to all of you for your comments!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom