Look at selling/trading in my 5th wheel, looking for advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haggs

We are looking at trading in or selling our 5th wheel, due to lack of use.  I know new trailers take a pretty big drop in value in the first year, but I am curious as to really how much.  We bought ours new in October of 2012.  Asking price new is $39,000.  How much of a loss would I be looking at if I traded it in or sold it?  I am asking to see if anyone has had any experience with this, not to advertise ;D

I apologize if this is the wrong section.

i think it all depends on if you owe on the trailer and how much your willing to take a hit on i talked to a dealer here in iowa to upgrade my trailer a 2012 bighorn to a 2013 different floor plan ive owned mine about 10 months they offered $3000 less than what i paid and i know alot of car dealers will take them on trade in on autos too...............

When we bought our "used" 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH in the spring we paid $10,900 for it, the dealer said that the previous owner paid $15,000.  So I am guessing that they dealer soaked them for about $5000 for the 5 weekends that they used the camper.

The dealer sells at retail but buys at wholesale. so expect a 40+% spread in what he will pay vs what he sell would sell it for.

In general, you should expect to take 20% or greater hit when re-selling an almost unit, but it depends on what you paid for it. If you bought anywhere near the MSRP, you will likely take a larger hit. If you got a steep discount, you might do better. However, remember that a potential buyer can also get a [possibly steep] discount on a new one from a dealer, and the new one will have a warranty. You are going to have to beat that price by more than a little to attract a buyer.

That said, there is always the possibility that a willing - and perhaps unknowledgeable - buyer will show up and fall in lust with your RV. If that happens, you may come out well indeed!

You probably aren't going to like what you find, but to answer the question, if the trailer now has a MSRP of $39,000, a buyer might be able to pick one up for about $27,000.  That would have the warranty and other advantages of buying new.  I don't think that a buyer would give you more than $20,000 and maybe less.  If you price it close to what he could buy new, he will.  Assuming he knows how much he can get discounted if he negotiates aggressively.  If you trade it in, the dealer will offer you a lot more but it is mostly funny money.  They will be giving you money on a trade that they would discount the trailer if you didn't have a trade. 

Thanks for the replies.  We are looking at downsizing, trading it in on another cheaper trailer.  I will put cash down to make up the difference, I am just curious how much the difference is  ;D  I heard that they lose about 20%.  Is that what I can expect them to offer or is it even less than that.  I can cover a 20% loss, but not much more.

Trading it back in is going to get you whoesale value. It may appear more because there will be a discount off the asking price of the one you buy that gets added to the  trade value to inflate it, but you could have had the same discount without the trade.  If it only costs you 20%, you will be lucky, but the only way to find out is to try to make a deal.

Remember when trading the new RV is really worth 75-80% of list.

I suspect that going through a dealer, and also trading down, will really hurt.  You would be much better off (several thousand dollars) to sell it yourself.  It is a lot more effort, usually, but very rewarding if you are able to do it. 

It may appear more because there will be a discount off the asking price of the one you buy that gets added to the  trade value to inflate it, but you could have had the same discount without the trade.

Another complication to the above is sales tax.  Some states compute the tax based on the price of the new unit, not the difference in price between the new and trade-in.  In other words, the trade-in value is just part of the payment.

Inflating the price of the new unit 20% to cover an inflated trade-in will increase the sales tax a like amount.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies!  That is why I enjoy this site!  I am going to inquire at a few dealers and see where I stand. 

Haggs said:
We are looking at trading in or selling our 5th wheel, due to lack of use.  I know new trailers take a pretty big drop in value in the first year, but I am curious as to really how much.  We bought ours new in October of 2012.  Asking price new is $39,000.  How much of a loss would I be looking at if I traded it in or sold it?  I am asking to see if anyone has had any experience with this, not to advertise ;D

I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I'm confused.  Only owned it a month and already decided you don't use it enough and want to down size... :eek:

Good catch on that one!  We bought it in 2011, it is a 2012 model.  We used it a lot when i was stationed in South texas, but now we are finding we are not be able to use it as much (at least not enough to justify the payment)  We aren't in a postion where we need to sell, just looking at some different options.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom