Looking at a 91 bounder. Need so help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tylor2019

Hey im a newbie to class a motor home. Im looking at a 91 bounder have few questions. The guy who has it know nothing bout it it was gave to him. He drove it home was bout it. I hit the button for the gen on the dash an nothing happens.went outside push the start button on the gen an still no cranking or anything. The 3 batteries up front under hood look new. But even on inside none of the lights Will work. He didnt have it hooked to power cause he said the inverter was making a hum sound. The rv starts right up.  Only other thing is he had the alternator off to replace it but she fires right up sounds good. Is there somthing turn off reason not getting power. I tried hitting the brown buttons above the door for battery an still nothing.  Any idea what i need look at or do or Whats wrong.

The house batteries probably need to be recharged. Do not pay more than a few grand for it. It is almost 20 years old and owned by someone who knows nothing. Probably a money pit.

If house batteries are dead would that cause the lights not to work on inside an the. Lights to check levels of water. Propane tanks.

If the inverter is shot would that cause all of. This happen to or no. Cause i ask guy if he could hook it up to power for me so i could hear the humming he talking bout but he said. He didn't have a cord long enough to reaxh house hook it up

Tylor2019 said:
If house batteries are dead would that cause the lights not to work on inside an the. Lights to check levels of water. Propane tanks.

Yes, if the batteries are dead nothing will work. And even more importantly, you won't be able to check anything. There are many, many systems you should check on including stove, oven, furnace, ACs, generator, refrigerator, lighting, etc etc. And if there have ever been any water leaks the repair costs could be significant. Then there's the "car" part: engine, transmission, starter, alternator, cooling system, brakes, etc etc. You should look at this as a house and a car combined. I would strongly suggest a professional inspection. You could easily have repairs on an older unit which would far exceed the purchase price

And it's very unlikely a 1991 Boulder has an inverter.

With no power to see everything running I would walk away.

You need to get in the mindset of shopping for a house, that happens to be built on a truck frame.  Sure the drive-train is important, however most RV's die from neglect and rot, caused by water intrusion, usually from the roof, or around the windows.  Such rot is often far more extensive than it appears at first glance and often prohibitively expensive to repair.  Also check the date codes on the tires, even if they look good, unless they have just been replaced, a set of tires will run you over $2,000, again here most RV tires age out vs wear out and should be replaced after about 7 years regardless of how they look.

p.s. you need working power to test the $1,500 rv refrigerator, $800 water heater, $1,000 roof top air conditioner, $700 propane furnace, ....  Then of course there is the plumbing, do the tanks hold water, did someone let the pipes freeze and crack by not properly winterizing, ....  How about all the dry rotted rubber parts, belts, hoses, and all sorts of steering and suspension bushings, how about the propane regulator, ....?

Yea i know what look for on home parts i have a 06 travel trailer.  That reason was asking bout trying see why no juice going gen since he said he couldn't hook up poweer was going start the gen to checkout the ac an all. So a 91 bounder dont have a converter?  My grandparents 80 model class c had a inverter. 

A 91 Bounder likely DOES have a Converter. Your Grandparents also likely had an converter.

A converter will take 120 bolts and convert it to 12 - 15 volts to run things in the RV as well as charge the batteries.

A inverter take 12 volts and inverts it to 120 volts.

It is possible that your grandparents also had a inverter back in the 80's

The big problem you have without hooking up power is the cost to make all the unknown repairs could triple your investment quickly. And that doesn't include other wear and tear problems you may face with a 28 year old RV.

Tylor2019 said:
So a 91 bounder dont have a converter?  My grandparents 80 model class c had a inverter.

Yes, it would have a "converter" (120V to 12V). You stated "inverter" (12V to 120V) which it would not likely have. But that's another thing that needs power to be tested. My approach would be "show me it works or I'll have to assume it doesn't".

(Edit: Gizmo100 and I were typing simultaneously, so what he said)

Yea sorry ment converter. But yea i think i will just stick with my travel trailer for now

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom