Looking at fifth wheel but do the numbers add up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysamm

I have reread as many threads as I could find (maybe too many) because I am totally botched up now.  So here they are all the figures I could think to calculate wether or not this truck is compatible to tow this fifth wheel?
Sorry to bother you guys with this question but HELP
Trailer:
Ship Weight  7,850 lbs,
GVWR  11,620 lbs.
Cargo Capacity  3,770 lbs.
Hitch Weight  1,460 lbs.
Axle Weight  6,390 lbs.
Truck:
Chevrolet 2500HD 4wd Ext cab (short bed)
Vortec 6000 v8 gasoline
gvw rating 9200 lbs
rear axle 4.10 ratio

thanks for your help

I'm sure Carl and John or Gary will be here soon and If anyone knows the weights it's thrm and you can bet your last buck on it.? Some times we aren't always happy with what they have to say, buy it will be the correct answer.

Thanks shane,
Also : trailer GulfStream Sierra fifth wheel
truck : Chevy 2500 Hd (if it matters)

The "Vortec 6000"  is a 6.0L right?  Assuming that your vehicle is a 2006, it has a tow rating of 10,000 lbs..  That is too light to haul a trailer with a GVWR of 7850+3770=11,600 lbs..    That is even without figuring in our cautious discounts of 10% for towing east of the Rockies or particularly the 20% you have do discount tow ratings for towing in the mountain and far west.

Shop for a lighter trailer.

(sorry hit the wrong button)
Is the cargo capacity grey/black/fresh? and how much considered? Full
I under stand the ship weight 7,850 is the base weight.  I just don't know what consists of cargo capacity?

Cargo capacity is what ever is stuffed into that trailer above the basic frame and shell of the trailer plus standard features.  It is the amount available for junque over after the mfr subtracts the basic weight from the trailer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).  The basic weight does not usually include stuff listed as options such as awnings, extra batteries, etc.. 

Thank You so much for getting back to me.
I can always look forward to good advise in this forum. Congrats to all who participate and thanks.
I have been looking lighter and am surprised to find that similar trailers are putting there cargo capacity a bit lighter than the one listed and than with the same dry weight trailer the numbers work (just with a lighter cargo capacity) generated or given I guess by the trailer manufacturer.  Seems a little peculiar to me??? ??? ???

Make life easy for yourself and forget about the dry weight (shipping weight). It's often a fiction and mostly irrlevent anyway.  Just look at the trailer's GVWR - it's max loaded weight - and assume your truck will have to pull (and stop) that at least some of the time.  Most trailers end up loaded close to their GVWR at least some of the time and it is fool hardy to assume yours will not be.  It may be OK to buy a trailer whose GVWR is about the same as your truck's max towing capacity, based on the notion that you won't really be loading it fully, but it is just asking for trouble to buy a trailer whose GVWR is more than your truck can handle. Your truck will be overstressed and your safety is at risk in the event that you have to make an emergency maneuver or sudden stop.

Thanks for the help. 
I will continue my quest.
Its a frustrating task but I'm sure will work out in the end.

In the end you will not be frustrated.  Your truck has a pretty good tow rating and you should be able to find a good floor plan with its limits.  Just remember that you cannot pull everything you find.  Even commercial semitrailer tractors cannot do that.

It is always better to be cautious in your choice of trailer in terms of weight in order to wind up with a unit that you can tow handily and safely.  White knuckle experiences doth not a great vacation make.  :)

Am I getting close?
Copper Canyon: fifth wheel
ship weight 7540
cargo weight 2555

truck:Chevrolet 2500HD 4wd Ext cab (short bed)
Vortec 6.0 v8 gasoline
gvw rating 9200 lbs
rear axle 4.10 ratio
tow rating 10,000 lbs

Closer.  Take that tow rating of 10,000 lbs.  Give it a safety factor of 10% for truck age and condition and get a trailer that has a dryweight plus carrying capacity (GVWR) of no more than 9000 lbs. for towing east of the Rockies.  Make that no more than 8000 lbs if you tow in the mountain or Pacific west to allow for HP losses due to altitude (3% per 1000 feet) and miles and miles of 6-8% grades.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrWil
Back
Top Bottom