Looking for a used DP with IFS...who makes em?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mblaster

Getting the urge to upgrade to a DP. I've heard that pushers with  independent front suspension are a bit more manuverable with their tighter turning radius. Since its kind of tight parking at the homestead I thought I'd look into rigs with IFS .
Which manufacturers should I be looking at?
TIA.

Country Coach is now all IFS. My Magna model got it in model year 2000.
Monaco still does not.

The Newmars using the Spartan Mountain Master chasis are IFS.  We have a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star DP with IFS.  Some of the smaller Newmars use the Freightliner without IFS so you have to check.

Mblaster said:
Getting the urge to upgrade to a DP. I've heard that pushers with  independent front suspension are a bit more manuverable with their tighter turning radius. Since its kind of tight parking at the homestead I thought I'd look into rigs with IFS .
TIA.

MBlaster

It isn't the IFS which permits the tighter turning radius but the front suspension design. For example, the Freightliner solid front axle has a cramp angle of 50-55 degrees. My Spartan chassis with IFS built in 2002 has a cramp angle of only 45 degrees, tho the new ones go to 55-56 degrees.

The IFS suspensions will normally drive better and are more responsive, but you can sometimes make a smaller turn in a solid axle coach than one with IFS.

If turning radius is important to you, ask what the cramp angle is, the larger the better. Most chassis today are in the 50-55 degree range. More important, drive the coaches. You must decide for yourself which you believe to drive and handle better.

Mblaster said:
Getting the urge to upgrade to a DP. I've heard that pushers with? independent front suspension are a bit more manuverable with their tighter turning radius. Since its kind of tight parking at the homestead I thought I'd look into rigs with IFS .
TIA.

Our 99 American Eagle has IFS and as I recall all American Coaches 99 or newer have IFS.  Personally I would not even consider a coach without IFS.  Several diesel pusher brands now have IFS.

BernieD said:
MBlaster

It isn't the IFS which permits the tighter turning radius but the front suspension design. For example, the Freightliner solid front axle has a cramp angle of 50-55 degrees. My Spartan chassis with IFS built in 2002 has a cramp angle of only 45 degrees, tho the new ones go to 55-56 degrees.

The IFS suspensions will normally drive better and are more responsive, but you can sometimes make a smaller turn in a solid axle coach than one with IFS.

If turning radius is important to you, ask what the cramp angle is, the larger the better. Most chassis today are in the 50-55 degree range. More important, drive the coaches. You must decide for yourself which you believe to drive and handle better.

Excellent info. Thanks.

Freightliner Chassis RV's since 99-2000 had IFS available to the manufacturers. Many made it an option or installed it as standard equipment in their high end models. National RV installed IFS as standard equipment in our 2001 Tradewinds LTC and used a solid axle on the rest of their lower end diesel line.

While turning radius can be a factor we would not be without IFS for the ride and handling.

I agree with Jeff.  A small turning radius is nice, but the smooth ride of IFS is essential.  If you get both, even better.  I have the Spartan IFS chassis and have never felt the need for a tighter turning radius.

Back
Top Bottom