Looking for Experiences with 2008-2010 Ford 6.4L Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbenderj

Hello all, I was wondering If I could maybe get a few people who have owned or do still own a 2008-2010 Ford F250/350 w/the 6.4L Power Stroke to weigh in on the durability of their truck and whether or not they would recommend one to a friend. The main reason why I am asking this is I plan to purchase a truck in the coming months so that I can get a TT or 5er for the family to start enjoying some vacation time away from everything and spend some time out in nature.
I still haven't decided which truck i am going to purchase although I am leaning heavily towards a new Dodge 3500 Crew Cab Long bed 4WD SRW. I drove a new Dodge and loved it and plan to drive the new Ford and GMC as well. I haven't shut out my option of possibly purchasing a used truck and have been searching the web quite a bit lately. The main reason I am asking about experiences with the 6.4L motor is that I was doing some research and found a lot of negative posts from owners on various issues. I do realize that most people that don't have problems will never post, however it still caught my attention.
Just using one website as an example, there seems to be a lot more 2008-2010 used Ford diesels available than any other brand. In my recent search on Carmax for a Diesel, crew cab 4WD there are 26 Fords, 8 Dodges, 2 GMCs and 2 Chevrolets. I know that this could be for many reasons but it makes me wonder.
I've owned a Ford and a Chevrolet (both 1500s) before,  but i was extremely happy with both vehicles. I honestly don't have a preference to one brand or another. If I do decide to buy used I want to get some experiences from owners that tow regularly with one. I have friends that own older Fords (6.0L models) and they love them, I also have friends with Dodges and Chevys and they all seem happy with them. I just don't personally know anyone that has one of these Fords that I can talk to.  I really like the looks of those years and like the quality of the interior and space. I found a White King Ranch online that i really like but I am extremely nervous about purchasing one until I get some feedback from current owners. I even find myself hesitant to go test drive a used one right now and Im not sure why, maybe the negativity online has gotten into my head. 

Thanks!
-Rob
additional - This is my first post after finding the forums. I find myself addicted and read them every night after work. Great site, I love it! I can't wait to purchase our first TT/5er!

The engine braking of the Ford may not be as good as the others.  There was a URL with a magazine comparing going up and down a 26 mile pass in the western USA.  The Ford brakes were used 26 times during the descent while the GM was used only twice.  But I can't find that URL right now.

Rob, every diesel truck out there has issues of some kind. I've read a bunch on most of them, I could relay information to you that would make any one make and model sound horrible. It's best to do some research and be an informed buyer.

One information site I frequent that has lots of information and knowledgeable people vis a vis the 6.4 Ford diesel, is DieselStop. Another is Powerstroke.org. Now mind you, people aren't likely  to post information when everything is going well, no, they post when they have an issue or are wanting to stave off a problem.

Diesels need more maintenance than gassers usually do and they need it more ofter. But, they pull like no gas vehicle can as I'm sure you're aware.

I have a F250 with the 6.0 engine, I read for months before buying one and feel I have a good grasp on its strengths and weaknesses. Its a good motor with a few issues that need attending to, but, once done it makes for a great tow vehicle.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still trying to do as much research as I can before I purchase a Truck. If anything I may just buy new, that way I can at least count on a factory warranty for awhile. Thanks again.

I still drive my 2008 SRWF350. Its been a good truck, we bought new in Jan 08. Going on 111,000 miles. And still going strong. Drove to Prudhoe Bay Ak twice from the lower 48. Used it to haul our 40' FW Toyhauler. Toyhaulers gone and preparing to buy a Class A so were going to sell. Have a buyer at $25000. Will probably sell. Not bad for the miles in the short timeframe. If were gonna continue with a FW we would definitely keep it! I owned GMC prior and would not own another GMC if I planned on using it like I did the Ford! Had tranny problems with both Jimmys with less than half the miles of my Ford!

I love my 2008 with the 6.4L.  I did have the radiator and thermostat (one of the much reported issues) replaced once (under warranty).  And I just had an oil leak fixed (seals went out on the turbo cooler).  Other than that, I have had no issues with the truck.  I got it with 25,000 miles (at Carmax as a matter of fact), and it's over 60,000 now.  I've towed my 5th wheel (around 11,000 loaded as we camp) from Houston through the Ozarks to Branson, up to Omaha, and back, and many smaller local trips.  It tows great.  And my wife likes it, so that's a great plus!  I would definitely get the Oasis report on it, see what the upkeep has been, and be prepared for a little upkeep.  Regular oil and filter changes (oil at 5,000 miles and fuel filters at 10,000) and the other normal stuff and it will be a great truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom