Looking for feedback on Jayco EXP 26L :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

campn4kids

We are in the market to purchase a '06 or '07 Jayco EXP 26L.  Does anyone have any feedback either positive or negative?  Pictures would be great too!  We are trying to locate one in our area to view, but currently all the dealers are out of stock.  We have a '95 Chevy Suburban 1500LT 4x4, 5.7L V8.  Any suggestions for electric brakes or sway bar? 

Thanks! 

We have four kids and are forced to upgarde from a pop-up! :)

Campn4kids
Virginia

The key to your search is your truck.? ?It is a 10 year old 5.7L Burb with 4WD.? ?That is not that much of a tow vehicle to put it bluntly.? ?If you have a 3.73 axle and the optional trailer towing package, the listing for the 1999 version is 6500-lbs but you need to deduct about 800 lbs for the 4WD to give a rating of only about 5700 lbs.? ?Now that 5700 lb rating is for a new truck.? Ten years old is not a new truck.? Deduct another 20% from that rating to give you a rating of about 4560 lbs.? ?If you plan to tow in the mountain or Pacific west, make that 30% for a rating of 3990 lbs.

It is difficult to tell from your description which model Jayco you are talking about.? ?I will assume is the 26BHS as shown on the www.jayco.com website.? ?That bad boy has a gross vehicle weight of 8180 lbs, a tare weight of? 6155 lbs.? ? Your old Burb is under-rated for pulling an empty 26BHS much less a fully loaded one.? That that is if the Burb were brand new.? ?Ten years old, you are not going anyplace very far or up any hills beyond one thrown up by a gopher.

To cut this short, it is time for a new truck.

Brakes and anti-sway mechanisms we should save till you correct the truck issue.

I have no expereince with this model but Jayco is a generally well regarded brand.

The electric brakes are part of the trailer, so I think you are inquiring about an electric brake controller for the truck. I highly recommend Tekonsha brake controllers.  The Prodigy model is the best but the Primus is OK too. 

Carl is right about your Burb - it's really not up to the job.

The 26L has a GVWR of 5800 lbs. You guys are looking at the wrong trailer, this 26L is an expandable, not the monster bunkhouse. Depending on the axle, it may not be a bad match for the Suburban.

burnmark said:
The 26L has a GVWR of 5800 lbs. You guys are looking at the wrong trailer, this 26L is an expandable, not the monster bunkhouse. Depending on the axle, it may not be a bad match for the Suburban.

OK, that was not clear.  At 5800 lbs GVW, the trailer is marginal for a theoretically new Burb, based on 1999 figures.  Derating the truck for age, and you get a rating that barely covers the unloaded weight of the trailer (4475 lbs).    If they ever want to tow in the mountain or Pacific West coast, the Burb will be seriously underrated with the unladen trailer.

Look, I have a  '95 Bronco with a 5.0L V8 and a new tow rating of 6600 lbs and 87,000 miles.  Applying my derating factors to it, the current tow rating would be 4620 lbs for towing in the west.  My trailer is 4650 lbs laden and as weighed on a scale.  I am right at the limit of the Bronco's capacity to tow in the west -- and I put on a lot of miles in 1st gear.  My rig's large disc brakes and good transmission pick up a bit of slack but the Bronc is getting long in the tooth.  It wiil go in a year or two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom