Looking for GPS recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hildyj

Looking for a portable GPS that does truck routes (or RV routes), and has the capability to search for RV friendly places like walmarts and flying Js.  Also I remember some time ago there was a link to a site that listed all walmarts located off major highways by state does anyone have this link?  as for the GPS other features people find important/useful?  any specific brands or models you would recommend?  TIA
helayne

The Lowrance iWay has a number of RV'er friendly screens such as WalMarts, Flying J stops and others.

I will second Tom's recommendation.  We have a Garmin but I don't expect we will ever get another Garmin.  IMHO their mapping software is a big rip off.  Garmin had a great software but changed and after 6 versions it seems to me to  more errors than than the old mapping software that is several years old.

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS on my laptop.  At about $120, it was the cheapest to start.  There are websites that provide compatible walmart and flying j locations.  I have only used it on 2 trips so far, but it worked great.
Art

just googled Lowrance iWay and is see several models at varying prices.  any comments on the specific models?  the prices are a pretty wide range.

I have a Garmin 333 Street Pilot that I used for a 5000 mile trip just two weeks ago. I was very satisfied with it. On this trip, I was not camping and did not look for camp grounds.  I did use it to locate motels.  In general, I plugged in the address for the motel from our AAA travel guide.  If I were camping, I would plug in the camp ground address using the Woodalls camping reference book.  It does have capability to find fuel, food and motel accomodations locally with the touch screen but not campgrounds.  I paid $399 for it at Best Buy this spring. it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the more expensive GPS units but it does very well for our needs.
Jake

My question is about mounting the GPS antenna. We have a Class C with the typical front overhang, blocking the windshield from the sky, making the suction cup mount useless. So what to do ?  A hole in the roof ?

We have the iWay 500C and really like the 5" color screen.

I noticed that the Microsoft Streets and Trips has as mall GPS receiver attached to a cord that plugs into a laptop.  I didn't look at it at the time but i suspect it has a USB cord to the laptop.  If so, I suspect one could mount the reciver in clear view of the sky and get a USB extention to reach thier laptop.  Just a thought.
Jake

smokeater1 said:
The iWay seems to have a built in antenna. Don't think that will work on a class C ?

Why not? It works in our class A and in our cars. It has an option for an external antenna, but I haven't found the need to buy it.

King said:
I use Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS on my laptop.? At about $120, it was the cheapest to start.? There are websites that provide compatible walmart and flying j locations.? I have only used it on 2 trips so far, but it worked great.
Art

I have a Garmin, but I'll be looking into this also. I have a couple of fellas I work with that use this and they absolutely LOVE it.

Jake said:
...I suspect one could mount the reciver in clear view of the sky and get a USB extention to reach thier laptop.

Yes, that works well. In addition to a fixed GPS (iWay), I run both Steets & Trips and DeLorme's Street Atlas on a PC while we travel. S&T works fine, but the routing tools aren't as good as SA or the standalone unit.

We've been using a laptop with the delorme software for years.  My wife is really happy with it but I, when driving, find it not very easy to see or operate.

It's not that expensive and the street maps are very good for every single little road in the country.

Now, I personally, would love to have somthing that simply showed me a map and kept me in the center.  The only function I'd want is to zoom in and out quickly.  I just want to monitor as I drive and then zoom in near a turn.

GypsySooners said:
Now, I personally, would love to have somthing that simply showed me a map and kept me in the center.  The only function I'd want is to zoom in and out quickly.  I just want to monitor as I drive and then zoom in near a turn.

Microsoft S&T does that very well.

Street Atlas can certainly be operated in that manner and the zooming can be done with either the PgUp/PgDn keys or with voice commands.

I went GPS shopping. Seems most of them have built in receivers, so no roof mounts. Some were working inside the store.
Just wondering if any Class C owners have one of this type and what reception with it ?

Thanks,

Jack.

smokeater1 said:
I went GPS shopping. Seems most of them have built in receivers, so no roof mounts. Some were working inside the store.
Just wondering if any Class C owners have one of this type and what reception with it ?

Thanks,

Jack.

I used MS Streets and Trips on my laptop with the antenna suction cupped to the window and it worked great!  We were traveling from Iowa to Anchorage in May and had no problems.

Don

I've been using my laptop with DeLorme TOPO and an external GPS antenna for about 5 years. You can download a whole list of locations for Delorme software like campgrounds, Walmarts, Flying J, etc here:

http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm

I like the DeLorme TOPO because you also can get an idea of all the grades before you approach them.

Chet18013

I sure wish I understood all this.lol  I am thinking of getting something that talks (?) and tells me when and where I should be turning.  I haven't the foggiest about what I am going to buy and I don't trust that the sales staff know anymore than I do.  I will be travelling alone, hence the reason for the talking system.
Any help is appreciated.
Leo ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom