Looking for ideas how to build a roof over my parkmodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmad

Hey guys I?m new here, I?m in Canada I have a 37 ft golden falcon and would like to build a roof over it to protect from snow n rain, I?ve searched the internet and haven?t found much on good ideas, I?m unsure if building on the trailer itself is smart because of the weight, or if it?s better to use posts on footings, anyone have any ideas or plans or material I could look at,
Thanks

If you build a pole barn, you may have to go to the town and get a building permit and may need a set of plans to see if it will pass code. Same with the roof idea.
Either way, they will be permanent structures. I would check with them 1st to see if it's legal.

The roof on the park model has already been designed and built for all weather use,, whats makes you think you need a cover??>>>Dan

Utclmjmpr said:
The roof on the park model has already been designed and built for all weather use,, whats makes you think you need a cover??>>>Dan
The OP lives in Canada. RVs are not built to handle the weight of four feet of snow.

I lived in Alaska for 22 years. Many years we had to remove the snow from our house roofs because of weight. Houses are also built for all weather use.

Exactly, we get quite abit of snow here, and I?ve spent the whole summer repairing the roof because it was leaked, previous owner sold it saying no leaks.... well it leaked, and I?m still having issues so I figured to be safe I should just build a permanent roof to protect it forever as it will remain in its current spot, I?m looking for a less expensive and light weight solution, I am not worried really about bylaws or building codes because I doubt it will be visible as it I should pretty deep in the woods,

I've helped friends do this (twice) and feel that the pole, rafter & roof method is the only way to go. You want to keep ice & snow OFF the trailer roof as much as possible, and you want a fairly steep pitch in a heavy snow area.

Consider using metal roofing.  When we re-roofed our house - upstate NY - and went from shingles to a metal roof, I noticed that the snow seemed to slide off much easier on it's own.

What ever you do, build it sturdy, I have seen many RV's damaged by their "protective" light weight metal carports in my area due to storms and other wind events.

Here is a method wooden boat builders use to build year round to complete their large or small boats.  It has intrigued me for years as a way to build and stay warm while doing so in the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJXTk_a6hvM

A friend built his house using the method suggested by Mr. Hoffman.  Quick, inexpensive and sturdy.  Allegedly grows stronger with more weight on the roof.  Still standing after 30 years of NH winters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom