Looking for info on satellite internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand it was designed by ex Motosat engineers and is being marketed by Winneguard.? I saw one in operation and it acquired the Sat in less than 2 minutes.? Why that is even faster than I can set up. ;D
I think the name may have been changed to Datastar instead of Direcstar.

I've seen that same system, but I can't recall the name  :(

Ok, the Winegard system.  I can't find any pricing on their web site, however.  I can't even find a dealer for the product with a Google search.  Who is actually selling this product?

I've found that it's the Hughes ACP servers that take the most time.  The Datastorm finds the satellite quickly enough, but then Hughes takes it's own sweet time to do its tests.

I don't think it is just the ACP servers that take the time since the Datastar system I saw operate found the Sat and was online in two minutes or less.

Personally I feel the Motosat and the Datastar are excellent systems.  I was just commenting that I was very impressed with the speed of which the Datastar is able to find the Sat and get on line.  Downside is the Datastar is about 4 or 5 hundered more than Motosat.

Ned,

IIRC Ron Brundage in Hila Bend is a dealer for them.

Thanks Bernie. The spelling didn't look right, but I couldn't get my brain around the correct spelling when I typed that.

A lot depends on the particular transponder and number of available rate codes too.  In my case, the modem tests 5 different rate codes to get the best one usable and that can take several minutes.  Sometimes it passes quickly and I have been online in 2-3 minutes if the antenna doesn't need to move too far in azimuth.  A fast mount is an advantage when you need to deploy several times a day, or some emergency services, but the average user doesn't have the need.  Of course, once they're pointed, they all are alike.

Al,

Yes, I turned PMs off temporarily when the spammer hit us recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom