Looking for info on satellite internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stheuer

New to RVing since I left is satellite internet. Have just skimmed some info on the Magellan .95 meter system, with up to 2mbps download. Looks like about $6K install (youch!)

Would appreciate info from anyone with any knowledge whatsoever on these or competing systems. Thanks

Scott

Click here for a supplier of satellite internet systems (used by several forum members) that cost much less. Contact the provider directly to see if he can help..

I find the hughes DW-7000 system which can hit 1Mbps download and normally runs about 75% of that is more than adequate, and a bit cheaper.  (and smaller) I have a tripod system from Ron's internet solutions.  (forum member)

Hughes just announced the HN-7000s Which is supposed to do 1.5Mbps but I won't be able to comment on that

A couple things you do need to know,  Interactive games, you will loose as it takes a half second up and down for your command to be registered.  Likewise internet telephone is like talking to the moon (Long delays) for the same reason

However E_mail IM, forum posting, Usenet, and even streaming audio work great

Streaming video, lo quality is ok but high quailty may smack you up against the Fair Access Policy wall so I don't suggest it, I have watched some NASA TV via the net though

And next, if you have DIREC TV along with Hughes net and get the proper sattalite assignment (Your dealer will set that up for you) for an extra hundred or so one dish does both

Thank you for the info - I have sent Ron's an email. I would be interested in a roof mount, automatic system. Do you know anything about those systems? Re games, don't play them, the satellite phone is interesting, primarily as a last-ditch backup to cellular when there is no coverage. What do you mean by Fair Access Policy? Do you mean that they limit bandwidth? We have a home business we are considering 'taking on the road' and could not deal with those types of issues.

Thanks,

Scott

Karl, Thanks for the reply. When I went to Hughes it appeared that the systems listed are aimed at static installations (such as at home) and not RV systems. Did I miss something?

Scott

For a HughesNet automatic antenna, you would get a Motosat Datastorm.  They come in 3 sizes, but the most common, and least expensive, is the F1, a .74 meter dish with completely automatic pointing.  VOIP does work over HughesNet, but Vonage doesn't.  Skype and NetZeroVoice work acceptably well.

Fair Access Policy (FAP) is a limit on the amount of data you can download in any period of time.  The typical system will have a 350MB FAP, more expensive plans will have higher FAP limits as well as higher speeds.  For most uses, the FAP is a non-issue.  It only comes into play if you download many large files in a day.

You cannot buy a mobile system from Hughes, and they will not support you in any way.  You will need to purchase from a dealer, whether you get a tripod or an automatic system.

Scott,
Yes, but Hughes is the main supplier of Internet services. The equipment can be purchased thru any number of dealers. A tripod-mount system consists of a modem and .74 meter dish which mounts on a heavy-duty surveyor's tripod. This same dish can be mounted on the roof of an rv with a specially designed mount and is also manually aimed. I have the tripod mount and find it entirely adequate for my needs, but some prefer the rooftop mount because it store up there when not in use. Personally, I don't relish the idea of climbing up on a roof in inclement weather. For more money, many people have Motosat rooftop systems which, in addition to the modem and antenna (a somewhat larger one), utilize a special controller and motorized mount that will automatically search and lock on to the proper satellite with the push of a switch - no need to leave the comfort of your MH. It takes but a few minutes for it to do its' job, and gets you online almost anywhere, anytime without the hassle of setting up the equipment or climbing the roof. The main disadvantage with either of the two rooftop systems is you may have to spend some time to find a 'satellite-friendly' place to park your MH. The tripod, on the other hand, can be set up anywhere within the range of the connecting cable, so it's sometimes much more convenient. Park your rig and then look for the hole in the trees.

Karl said:
many people have Motosat rooftop systems which, in addition to the modem and antenna (a somewhat larger one)

Actually, the Motosat F1 uses exactly the same antenna as the Hughes home and the tripod mobile mounts.  Motosat gets the antennas (dish and transmitter/LNB) from Hughes and puts them on their mount.

Motosat does also offer a .98 and a 1.2 meter antenna as well, but they are not only considerably more expensive, are not needed for the average user.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry for the stupid question, but since this is my first visit since the CompuServe days, how do I reply to a certain person? It seems I can only reply to a topic rather than keep a specific thread going.

The Magellan .95 meter is very interesting, but the price waters my eyes a bit!

Re roof vs tripod, yes all good points. Had a 'crank up' sat dish on last rig and there were times when we couldn't "see" out of the trees. I can live with it. Did use a 'ground mount' a couple times with some success, but frankly don't want to fuss with it anymore. I'll just roast more marshmellows instead of surfing the web!

Thanks all,

Scott

Scott,

Public replies are replies to the topic. It might seem strange at first, but you'll get used to it (we all did).

An alternative is to use the Quote button which will automatically include the name of the person who authored the message you're quoting. But we'd ask that, if you use this option, please edit the quote so you're not quoting the entire message.

If you click the IM button beneath a person's name/avatar, you can send them a Personal (private) Message, but nobody else will see the message.

If it's not obvious who I'm replying to, I'll just include the person's name at the beginning of my reply, like I did with this reply to you.

Tom,

>>>Public replies are replies to the topic. It might seem strange at first, but you'll get used to it (we all did).

OK, yes a bit weird, but thanks.

Scott

Ned,

Would you have benefited using a 1.5 meter antenna on the fringe area of Yukon Territory around Whitehorse in your Alaska trip?

No, we have had excellent reception with the F1 in YT and AK on Horizons 1, 127W, the satellite of choice for this trip.  There are some areas in central BC that are on the edge of the footprint, but my Datastorm was out of commission for 3 weeks so didn't have a chance to test that.  We were travelling with Russ M. at that time and he was able to get online from most places on our journey up.  The largest antenna available from Motosat is the F3, a 1.2 meter dish, and that is a lot of wind load and weight.  The benefits are higher speeds if you get one of the more expensive plans and less susceptability to rain dropouts.  Neither have been an factor for us.

stheuer said:
Thank you for the info - I have sent Ron's an email. I would be interested in a roof mount, automatic system. Do you know anything about those systems? Re games, don't play them, the satellite phone is interesting, primarily as a last-ditch backup to cellular when there is no coverage. What do you mean by Fair Access Policy? Do you mean that they limit bandwidth? We have a home business we are considering 'taking on the road' and could not deal with those types of issues.

Well, Ron is the installer so he's the man to ask most of those questions.  I see Ned and Karl have addressed most of the questions you raised. 

Roof mounts: Ron does those as well as Tripods.  I really suggest a Tripod as that way you can park the rig under a tree and park the tripod not-under the tree.  I have a roof mount TV dish and I'm getting a seperate dish I'll put on a Tripod next week (The seller, I'm buying used, is closer to my house than I am just now)

This does not mean you can not also get a roof mount.  Ron does both types,  Roof mounts can be auto (push a button and it locks on) or manual (Ron can demonstrate a manual)  And they can be painted so they look fancy (Ron can demonstarte, his is)

FAP, I have the basic plan (Ned or Karl described) and I like to listen to streaming audio (Live-365 subscriber, subscribers are not bothered by the pop-up-spyware-ads that non-subscribers have to put up with)

I will listen to 56K audio streams all day and never once wear out my welcome on Hughes net

Streaming VIDEO, I'm told, Will wear out your welcome (Hit the Fair Access Policy Wall) very fast

FAP is kind of like a water tower,, There is a 56K pump filling the tower, and the tower holds some arbartary amount of water, As you haul down data, it's trasported by the "Water" in the tower, when the tower is empty you can not draw down data any faster than the pump pumps,  But so long as there is water in the tower 1Mbps is not impossable if you are strong enough, (Most of my data speed tests are in the 79x down range, with 125-150 up, that is Kbps by the way)

Smoky should be in on this. 
After Ron's delicate installation and alignment,  Smoky would really have us all confused.  Where is that Rascal anyway.  Maybe the Admiral is making him walk the chaulk line.

Hi Scott,

I have sent you a PM in response to your E-mail.

We have a manual system.? The Datastorm and the Direcstar are both automatic systems and both use the Hughesnet internet system.? While I prefer the manual setup system both the Motosat and Direcstar automatic systems are excellent.? I would probably go with the Direcstar system if I was going to go for an automatic system, mainly because it is faster to acquire the Satellite.

As far as I can find, DirectStar is satellite TV only and not internet.

Ned said:
As far as I can find, DirectStar is satellite TV only and not internet.

The Direcstar is an automatic system similar to the Motosat using the Hughesnet internet system.  Major difference is that it takes 1/2 or less time than the Motosat to aquire the satellite.

Who makes it?  A search on Google only showed TV systems.

The newer Motosat XF2 and XF3 mounts are very fast, but also very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom