Looking for Intel on Road to Lake Owyhee State Park in Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

We are considering a volunteer work camp job at Lake Owyhee State Park.  I have gotten very mixed and conflicting info on driving the road into the park towing a larger trailer.  Looking at Google Maps indicates the road is twisty but does not appear to be impossible, no worse than some roads I have pulled trailers on.  The CG has some fairly large sites and the lake is a large one, popular with boaters, so I would think fairly large boats are being towed in.  Also mention has been made of a narrow 1-lane tunnel, but no indication I have found for height.  Anyone familiar with this road and park, I would love to hear your experience.  Our 5th wheel is 35'.

I drove up as far as the dam in 2017. There is a section of the road that is narrow which 2 rv?s would not be able to pass each other. That always makes me nervous so I wouldn?t tow my little trailer up there, especially since I?m solo and wouldn?t have any spotter. I did see large rv?s going up there however. So it depends on your comfort level driving narrow roads with big drop offs. The road past the dam looks pretty narrow also but I didn?t drive it. The tunnel is narrow but doesn?t have the clearance posted. There is a picture of it in my blog post about the area. It is extremely hot there in summer!

http://debsrvtravels.com/2017/10/10/sightseeing-around-ontario-or/

You?re welcome, sorry I can?t provide more pertinent answer to your inquiry. I?m surprised no one else has replied. Out of curiosity I checked the park website. I was surprised how little info they provide. I wonder if calling the park should someone could provide info on the tunnel clearance. I remember it was fairly narrow but had good clearance in the center.

The people in charge of the work campers should be able to provide you good info about the roads, UNLESS this is some contractor managing the campsites.

We towed our 32' 5th wheel there in 2016. To the dam is an easy drive, narrow in spots but certainly doable. From the dam to the camp grounds was a very scary drive. VERY narrow, big dropoff on the one side and straight up on the other. Hope you don't meet another trailer, your backing skills would be tested. Narrow, windy and no pull outs. The campgrounds had no sewer, 1 of the 2 has a dump site. I've been there once and would not go back. The scenery is starkly beautiful. Not worth the trip IMO.

Debra17 said:
You?re welcome, sorry I can?t provide more pertinent answer to your inquiry. I?m surprised no one else has replied. Out of curiosity I checked the park website. I was surprised how little info they provide. I wonder if calling the park should someone could provide info on the tunnel clearance. I remember it was fairly narrow but had good clearance in the center.

I did contact the ranger who is responsible for bringing us on, who said height clearance would not be an issue.  I too looked at the website and did not see any driving warnings.  I am going to try to contact the ranger in charge to see if he/she can shed some light on the road getting to the campground.  Thank you all for your input.

i have not been there in years so can not comment on road or park but be aware that it is hotter the you know what in the summer and not much of a breeze during the day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom