Looking for TOAD opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

At the point where we need to come up with a suitable TOAD for our Class A. We have a lead on a 2012 VW GTI with 6 speed transmission. Have only seen it in photos at this point but it looks like a very clean car. Main concern is the mileage: 142k. Now going back a few decades when anyone around here got near even 100k miles on their auto it was a pretty big deal. I understand that cars are apt to last a lot longer these days (our Honda van is near 100k miles and still seems like new to me) but 142k seems like it might be a pretty big negative.

Know nothing at all about VWs. Would appreciate any input from those with more experience.

My thoughts are if you're a Honda guy, why not "dance with who brung ya".  We are honda people, also.  Just sold an Accord with 240K, toad is a 2006 CRV and were currently looking for a 14 or 15 Pilot.  CRV is an excellent toad. 

GaryA said:
My thoughts are if you're a Honda guy, why not "dance with who brung ya".  We are honda people, also.  Just sold an Accord with 240K, toad is a 2006 CRV and were currently looking for a 14 or 15 Pilot.  CRV is an excellent toad.

Well, although I've been very happy with our Odyssey, I can't say I'm necessarily married to the brand.  :)

As I mentioned elsewhere here the Odyssey has a curb weight of 4.3k  pounds. My concern is that even though I'd love to use it and it could be towed with our 2012 Bounder 33C that's pretty close to the maximum recommended "limit". Getting a vehicle that's a thousand pounds or so lighter seems like it might be a better way to go.

My mother has a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI and loves it.  They are well made little cars.  I have known several folks to get nearly 300,000 miles out of them.  With any vehicle, it depends heavily on how well it was serviced and treated.

The GTI 6-speed is a manual tranny? Cause the auto isn't 4-down towable.

At 142k, I think you are into the realm of "how well was it cared for"?  With reasonable maintenance, it should see 200k, at least mechanically. You will be replacing some things before 200k, e.g. starter, water pump, alternator, cluthch, etc., but the basic stuff should be ok.

What makes this GTI a top choice? Seems like there ought to be plenty of choices among small cars and SUVs in that age group., both stick & automatics.  Honda CRVs (2014 and earlier), Honda Fit (2013 and earlier), several Ford sedans & SUVs, various Jeeps, Chevy Equinox & Malibu, etc. Surely you can find one with under 100k miles and avoid your concern.

Start digging through the Dinghy Towing Guides for a year in your price range.
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The GTI 6-speed is a manual tranny? Cause the auto isn't 4-down towable.

Yep it's manual.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
At 142k, I think you are into the realm of "how well was it cared for"?  With reasonable maintenance, it should see 200k, at least mechanically. You will be replacing some things before 200k, e.g. starter, water pump, alternator, cluthch, etc., but the basic stuff should be ok.

What makes this GTI a top choice?

Not a top choice rather just a vehicle a friend of a friend had for sale and wanted to show us. Test drove it today and it seems like it's in very good condition. One factor is that I'm a TALL guy which necessarily requires some concession when it comes to roominess. It was adequate for leg/head room but I need to do some more comparison shopping.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Seems like there ought to be plenty of choices among small cars and SUVs in that age group., both stick & automatics.  Honda CRVs (2014 and earlier), Honda Fit (2013 and earlier), several Ford sedans & SUVs, various Jeeps, Chevy Equinox & Malibu, etc. Surely you can find one with under 100k miles and avoid your concern.

Start digging through the Dinghy Towing Guides for a year in your price range.
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

We've been researching and looking casually for a couple of months but we now need to start to narrow things down and make a choice. I'll be looking at the material you mentioned as well as a number of other sources.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom