looking for "toad" suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joebarb

Hello......newbies also to the forum community.  What a helpful site!  Lots of info on here.  Now for us,  we are "maybe" going into a motorhome after 12 years of 5th wheeling.  What is a good car for towing?  We've heard of Saturn & Honda.  Any pros or cons out there?  Thanks.

joebarb said:
Hello......newbies also to the forum community.? What a helpful site!? Lots of info on here.? Now for us,? we are "maybe" going into a motorhome after 12 years of 5th wheeling.? What is a good car for towing?? We've heard of Saturn & Honda.? Any pros or cons out there?? Thanks.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  We are looking forward to helping you and your participation on the RV Forum.

There are several very good options for a car to tow (TOAD or TOWED).  We tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee which can be towed on all 4 wheels with no modifications required to the drive train.  Jeep Liberties and Wranglers can also be towed.  Some of the Framily tow Saturns others Grand Vitara, GMC Envoy all which can be towed with out modification to the drive train.  Some tow other vehicles with some modification.  I am sure others will be providing more information.

Where are you from?  What will you be doing with your 5th wheel?

Ron 
We are from southern Alabama.  Have a home here but are leaving on the 14th to workamp at a Wi State park for 8 weeks or so.  We are trading in the 5th wheel.....if we find what we want but time is getting short so will probably not trade until the fall.  Thanks for the towing suggestions, guess I posted that in the wrong section,  forgetting to introduce ourselves.  Joe retired from post office  while I was the stay at home Mom.  Joe is not a computer person but does like to read the messages & articles on here.  We raise citrus.  Have 100 trees of satsumas,  something on the order of a tangerine but mostly seedless, sweeter & very easy to peel.  Pick them in late Oct thru middle of Dec.  Then head to Goodyear Az for Jan-Mar to visit daughter & family.  Other 2 kids live near us,  one 4 miles away the other in lower Miss.  This is all more than you probably wanted to know!

We winter in Yuma, Az and on occasion travel to Goodyear nearby to visit other Forum Framily in the area.  Hope to get to meet you.  If you are that close you might want to join us at the Quartzsite rally South of QZ during the RV Show.  You would sure be welcome to join us.

I had never heard of satsumas.  I like Tangerines so we would probably enjoy satsumas.  Did satsumas originate in Japan or somewhere else in Asia?  SA TSU MA sounds very much like they may have been brought here from Japan.  If they cam from Japan we probably have eaten them.  They did have something that looked like tangerines but tasted much better.

Maybe we will be able to meet you in Az.

Ron

You're right on:

"First introduced from Japan in 1878, satsumas produce fragrant white blossoms in March and April. These trees are also green the year round. The fruit turns bright orange as it ripens in late October. "The colorful orange fruit against the dark green, glossy foliage truly makes a striking display"

Se this article for more info.

Sounds like a very desirable fruit.

Tom,

Thanks for the article.  Now I remember satsumas.  We ate a lot of them the 61/2 years we lived in Tokyo.  Itis  just amazing what we learn here. ;D

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum. We have an American Dream and tow a Grand Vitara. We have owned two Trackers and two Grand Vitaras. At this point I would not trade for any other car. It is great for local driving and tows very well. It weighs around 3100lbs. We have been on some off road trips where the GV has performed as well as any other 4X4. The clearance is not as great as some of the larger SUVs but it also weighs quite a bit less. On my last one I put taller tires which gave me about 1 1/2 " more clearance. This made quite a bit of difference in the off road capability. The best thing is it can be towed four down. No need for a trailer or tow dolly.

We have owned 4 motor coaches and love them. Much easier to set up than 5th wheels when you are moving frequently. Sometimes we stay at WalMarts or truck stops overnight. If we find something is happening outside that makes us uncomfortable I just have to walk to the front, start the engine and drive away. Having said that, we have never needed to do it. :)

Good luck in your quest!

joebarb said:
Then head to Goodyear Az for Jan-Mar to visit daughter & family.

Joe and Barb

Marlene and I live in Goodyear and are usually here most of that time. Let us know when you arrive.

Joe and Barb:

Welcome to the Forum.

I guess I will pipe up for the Honda crowd. We have towed a Honda CRV since 2002 with great success. Best attributes are roominess, driveability, and gas mileage along with light weight (3175 pounds compared to 4-5K for jeeps).

Unlike the jeep products the auto transmission is engaged while towing because Honda uses a full-time 4 wheel drive system. Requires starting the engine every 8 hours for two minutes to lube transmission, never been a big deal and so far in three years and 20,000 miles of towing I haven't forgotton anything other than leaving the parking brake (Once!) that causes any prooblems.

Welcome Joe and Barb,
    I am newbie also but find this site chocked full of information that you can archive or just post a new question and you'll get great seasoned advice. I have a Saturn 4 door sedan that we take along to the central coast of California.  It was my daughter's car for school and after she became a RN she had to go out and get a Highlander. So we re- inherited it. Tow's great, very economical and roomy. Towing 4 wheels down is the way to go. Just make sure you get a good rock guard. Luckily the rock hit low... Greg

OTHG 21s said:
I .... find this site chocked full of information that you can archive or just post a new question and you'll get great seasoned advice.

Greg, whilst that's very true, we hope that folks will give something back in return, e.g. some RV-related knowledge or information that others here and in the future might benefit from. Maybe a story or two of your travels and experiences. Something learned here that was helpful in some situation. We also hope that folks will stick around, join in the discussions, maybe even attend a forum rally or two and meet some of the wonderful folks who comprise our membership.

Back
Top Bottom