Looking for Utility 12VDC connectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larryr

I'm looking for an affordable plug for portable devices to plug into that is: polarized so not easily reversed, able to handle say 15 amps for a long period, socket fairly small and easy to panel mount, affordable.

I've used binding posts & MDP (banana plugs and jacks) had the MDP melt with a 10 amp battery charger. I've used XLR connectors. They work for mid to lo current, but are not ideal and not cheap. I dislike cigarette lighter junk.

What are people using?

In the amateur radio world we use Anderson PowerPoles. The small form factor housings accommodate terminal sizes ranging from about 18 gauge wire up through 8 gauge, 15 through 45 amps. Inexpensive, field installable. The housings are such that you can mix and match different pin orientations making unique connector configurations possible. The downsides to them are they require an external tie or bracket for retention (beyond basic friction) and they're not water resistant. But I've used them for decades for just about everything DC powered I own and they're "good enough".

Another option might be your basic trailer style connector. They're available from two to eight pin blocks and a few different wire gauges. They're molded and have moderate environmental durability. Downside is you basically get a pigtail you'd have to splice onto your equipment cabling.

Another common DC connector is the MC4 series used with solar systems. Good for about 20A and has a gland nut on the cable end, so can tolerate some moisture when sealed. Not sure about chassis versions of those though, they're more of an inline cable connector.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The Anderson devices are a good choice. Or try a fisherman's store, where they have connectors for electric trolling motors. There are also quality 12v utility (aka cigar lighter) receptacles and plugs available, but you won't find them at Walmart or Autozone (try West Marine).

For long-running 15A usage, you will want at least 12 gauge wire and connectors rated for 20A or more. A 15A load on a typical 15A rated connector is going to get over-warm under continuous load.

I use Molex connectors similar to these as a connection to my small inverter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 11.23.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 11.23.29 AM.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 9
Molex connectors like that are not made to be plugged and unplugged repeatedly. The tin plated ones are only rated for 25 operations and even the gold ones only 250. Contrast that to the Anderson connectors that are rated up to 10,000 cycles.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Though in ham Radio there is no "Standard" connector. Anderson Power Poles are about as close as it gets. They are asexual, polarized, can be arranged differently for different voltages. so if you have say 12 and 24 volt stuff you can't screw it up and more... I got my original order from West Mountin Radio and have a couple "rig Runners" the 12 port Rig Runner was on the "B" pillar in my RV and powered multiple radios. a Fan or two and some other stuff till the RV was killed (Not complaining about that) and not it's behind me still powering stuff in my apartment.

I used power pole connector to power my macerator. i even used them on a "Towed Charge" system. Very handy.. the "Extension" cords I had to make.. because the connectors are asexual (Plug is identical to outlet) you can plug either end in. No need to find the other end of the cord.

They make a whole catalog of stuff to plug into the rig runners.

West Mountain Radio

Oh and they also sell the recommended crimping tool but if you have a crimper you can likely use it. There are some good crimpers and some elcheapos. I recommend a good one. The West Mountain job is first rate top of the line. .

ARRL/ARES adopted the APP 30A configuration around 2000 and while there isn't widespread OEM equipment incorporation (save Elecraft), the secondary equipment market for these is quite strong and adopted by many amateurs. Maybe not technically a "standard" but certainly accepted practice.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Harbor Freight crimper #36411 works on Power Poles, for less than 10 bucks. That’s what I used on all my ham gear, plus a few other things.

Yep, the HF crimper (and others just like it) works OK on the 30A terminals, that's the one I keep in the RV. It will not work on the 15A or 45A terminals but I have the west mountain crimper for those at home.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom